Remember discovered uPNP settings

Xeno

For me, uPNP is horribly flaky--sometimes it's discovered and sometimes it refuses to connect at all, but it's pretty constant if it does work: it first gives me a failure message and later it discovers a new uPNP device.

I just wish that it could be made to remember that ugly-looking URL and be told to try (and retry) connecting to it when the wireless is being flaky.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small update--now I know why UPnP was so flaky for me:

• The UPnP framework uses UDP port 1900 and TCP port 2869. Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) uses multicast searches to discover UPnP devices. Multicast searches are sent to UDP port 1900 using dynamic outgoing ports. Windows Firewall accepts matching multicast search replies that are received within three seconds of a multicast search. Afterward, the firewall will block multicast search replies, even if they match the search requests.

(Emphasis added.)

Sure enough, I turn off the firewall for just a moment and uTorrent finds the UPnP device, while it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't locate it the rest of the time. Obviously, the router takes too long to respond some of the time.

If I could make uTorrent cache the information instead of going through SSDP every time, this wouldn't be a problem. Actually, for best results, I would think that it should try SSDP first and if that fails, try using the information it got from SSDP last time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived