'This file type can't be played'

Klavdivs

Video/audio playback issues are usually caused by missing a codec, or a codec not being configured properly.
MediaInfo can give you information regarding video/audio files including the codecs used.
For playback of audio but especially video files, try using PotPlayer or VLC. Both can play back almost anything you can throw at them.

Edited by mike20021969

Thanks Mike. Alas, I don't really understand any of that. Though I am trying.

Firstly,  how do I play one of those non-playing downloads in VLC ( which I do have ) ? The downloaded episode files are all within the uTorrent app. I can't see how I lift them into VLC. I tried right-clicking on the file, hoping for a "Open With ..." option, but I don't get anything like that.

Secondly, if I do download MediaInfo. how do I use it. I had a quicklook at that app, it sounds like it would just give me lots of technical gibberish which I couldn't negotiate.

To give you an idea how impenetrable all this is to me - all this stuff [ below] at the end of your message - what is it ? Did you want me to use these exe. files ? Where ? How ? I'm sorry to be so useless. maybe I just shouldn't even try to use uTorrent, with my lack of knowhow. But I had to try. When I used to use Pirate Bay 15 years ago, it was never this hard. A layman could make it work.

βeta Links 1 2 3 Builds/Changelog|Stable Links 1 2 3 Release Notes|Advanced Settings+Hosts (02/12/19): Remove Ads/Offers/Bundles HERE+HERE
Magnets Rename 3.5.5_*****.exe= uTorrent.exe / 7.10.5_*****.exe= BitTorrent.exe & overwrite the previous installed *.exe.
µTorrent 3.5.5_46206.exe: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:9E72F8CAFB9CA6CB08E3F6B7C352CF944A727C51
µTorrent βeta 3.5.5_46196.exe: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:FEE826539D8E1314E3CE92B95312932DC305DBEE
BitTorrent 7.10.5_46211.exe: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4085E3A4933EFD13AC29AB69B97D44427627D5B3

3 hours ago, Klavdivs said:

all this stuff [ below] at the end of your message...

...is simply my signature (which appears on all my posts) and not part of my reply.
Anyway, once you've opened your folder (as mention by rafi) containing the downloaded files, open vlc then drag'n'drop the file onto vlc interface.

(Forget MediaInfo for the now,  but when installed it adds a right-click context menu entry to media files & when you right-click on such a media file and select MediaInfo. a small window opens showing details regarding the files properties such as codecs used. As you have vlc, this program already comes with the necessary codecs required to play most files).

Edited by mike20021969