My "torrents"

Ulisses Souza

I would like to know how I can create my own "torrent" so that only I can download it whenever I want (regardless of time, days, months or years, and that's even if I change computers, format or even change cities). The thing is to have my "torrents" just for me (Personal/private). Is this possible or do I still have to have friends or share for the "torrent" files to exist or be functional?

When you create the torrent in uTorrent, you will need to set as Private, that will disable PEX/DHT. But as stated above its kind of pointless. You will need someone/something to serve it to you.... your own computer. Something needs to be seeding it for you to download it. So sure you can seed from one city and download in another but it won't be on the internet unless you are. And you will be forced into manually adding the ip address and port number of your own seeding computer when you want to download it (right click in the peer list -> add peer).

19 hours ago, Majibow said:

When you create the torrent in uTorrent, you will need to set as Private, that will disable PEX/DHT. But as stated above its kind of pointless. You will need someone/something to serve it to you.... your own computer. Something needs to be seeding it for you to download it. So sure you can seed from one city and download in another but it won't be on the internet unless you are. And you will be forced into manually adding the ip address and port number of your own seeding computer when you want to download it (right click in the peer list -> add peer).

Thank You.

23 hours ago, Ulisses Souza said:

Thank You.

Hi I'm back again.
Hey I tried with a friend he told me that I have to have a new "URL" and know the path from where to download. Because for him the "torrent": All links are directing to my pc.
Looking inside my pc for these files. Those were his words to me.
So I would like to know if on the day I created it if I forgot to do something else (which actually I still don't know how to create these "torrents") and if there is any way to still be able to download them anyway. Or should I give up?

On 12/22/2022 at 4:41 AM, Majibow said:

Hi I'm back again.
Hey I tried with a friend he told me that I have to have a new "URL" and know the path from where to download. Because for him the "torrent": All links are directing to my pc.
Looking inside my pc for these files. Those were his words to me.
So I would like to know if on the day I created it if I forgot to do something else (which actually I still don't know how to create these "torrents") and if there is any way to still be able to download them anyway. Or should I give up?

1. Open uTorrent
  2. File -> Create New Torrent 
  3. Add files or folders. 
    Recommend: NOT Private and adding some open trackers like:

udp://tracker.opentrackr.org:1337/announce

udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:6969/announce

4. [X] Start seeding

5. Create
    Save the .torrent file on Desktop. Wait for hash check to finish.

6. Right click torrent -> Force Start.
    Torrent won't stop unexpectedly due to seeding goals.

7. Send the desktop .torrent file to recipient.
    e.g. email attachment or other means

8. Optional: Right click torrent -> Copy Magnet URI
    Note: magnet links are only good for non private torrents with trackers. 

If you didn't add trackers and kept the torrent private then the recipient will need to do the following.

1. Add .torrent to uTorrent
  2. Select torrent.
  3. Select Peers list.
  4. Right click in Peers -> Add peer. 
    Add the public IP address and port number of the seeding computer and uTorrent instance. 

If connection cannot be established then verify firewall and port forwarding is open on the seeding computer. FYI uTorrent works with both IPv4 and IPv6 as applicable and this website will display public IPv4/IPv6 addresses and can help you verify the seeding computer is connectable. https://www.port.tools/port-checker-ipv6/      

uTorrent: Options -> Preferences -> Connection -> Listening Port is the port number.

Edited by Majibow

38 minutes ago, Majibow said:
  1. Open uTorrent
  2. File -> Create New Torrent 
  3. Add files or folders. 
    Recommend: NOT Private and adding some open trackers like:

udp://tracker.opentrackr.org:1337/announce

udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:6969/announce

4. [X] Start seeding

5. Create
    Save the .torrent file on Desktop. Wait for hash check to finish.

6. Right click torrent -> Force Start.
    Torrent won't stop unexpectedly due to seeding goals.

7. Send the desktop .torrent file to recipient.
    e.g. email attachment or other means

8. Optional: Right click torrent -> Copy Magnet URI
    Note: magnet links are only good for non private torrents with trackers. 

If you didn't add trackers and kept the torrent private then the recipient will need to do the following.

1. Add .torrent to uTorrent
  2. Select torrent.
  3. Select Peers list.
  4. Right click in Peers -> Add peer. 
    Add the public IP address and port number of the seeding computer and uTorrent instance. 

If connection cannot be established then verify firewall and port forwarding is open on the seeding computer. FYI uTorrent works with both IPv4 and IPv6 as applicable and this website will display public IPv4/IPv6 addresses and can help you verify the seeding computer is connectable. https://www.port.tools/port-checker-ipv6/      

uTorrent: Options -> Preferences -> Connection -> Listening Port is the port number.

The worst thing is that I created my "torrents" I don't publish and I didn't know how to create the "torrents", I can't download them until today.
I sent some "torrents" that I created to a friend and he told me that he can't download them because when he tries to "torrent" he keeps looking for where to download them on his computer. And when I do the "torrent" does it go straight to the download folder on my PC? I just can't download the "torrent".
I still can't figure out how to release the download of my own "torrents". I don't know if I'm missing something or something or if that was the day I created the "torrent".

Captura de tela 2022-12-24 231357.png

Captura de tela 2022-12-24 231443.png

Captura de tela 2022-12-24 231538.png

Captura de tela 2022-12-24 231559.png

Disable the "Initial Seeding/Semeaco Inicial" of torrent in properties. 

Does the computer with the files, show 100% Seeding? If not then you need to, Right click the torrent -> Advanced -> Set Download Location... find the files and then Stop the torrent and Right click -> Force Re-Check. When it shows 100% of the files then Right click -> Force Start. 

If you can't get it working remove the references in uTorrent,
just start from the beginning and create the torrent again follow my step by step instructions above.

37 minutes ago, Majibow said:

Disable the "Initial Seeding/Semeaco Inicial" of torrent in properties. 

Does the computer with the files, show 100% Seeding? If not then you need to, Right click the torrent -> Advanced -> Set Download Location... find the files and then Stop the torrent and Right click -> Force Re-Check. When it shows 100% of the files then Right click -> Force Start. 

If you can't get it working remove the references in uTorrent,
just start from the beginning and create the torrent again follow my step by step instructions above.

If I could send you my "torrent" here I would send it to you to see better what happens.
Wouldn't there be another way to do this for you to see what happens to my "torrent" that I created (It was in 2016 that I created them)?

Just now, Majibow said:

Do you have the original files? 

Torrents require someone to have the original files to seed and serve them. If nobody has the original files then the torrent is dead. 

They all stay with me.
I never passed them on to others. The ones I sent this time were for my brother. He was the only one who did this and I only did it now after about 7 years.

You need to either create the torrent again or link the original content files to the torrent so that it shows Seeding status. 

I already described both procedures above. 

If you do not have the original content files. The torrent on its own is useless. Torrents only contain metadata about files. 

16 hours ago, Majibow said:

You need to either create the torrent again or link the original content files to the torrent so that it shows Seeding status. 

I already described both procedures above. 

If you do not have the original content files. The torrent on its own is useless. Torrents only contain metadata about files. 

Okay thank you.
I hope I'm not bothering you because my head is too weak for these things. Mostly memorizing things (I forget easily). I even wanted to use uTorrent as an alternative so I don't have to take everything to the cloud. Because it consumes memory there. And I also liked how the files are created and saved as a "torrent" (Use only for myself). But I don't know of any other program that does the same thing or similar to uTorrent (It's an interesting program but it compromises me because of viruses and the problems they cause in the operating system). If it exists or existed another in a clean way that uTorrent would be a wonder!
Thanks again and sorry for anything.

Maybe its lost in translation but it is impossible to use uTorrent for purposes of saving space with private files. You cannot delete the files unless someone else has a copy. It is possible to privately send to friends. Then one of you can delete the local copy and the other can keep their copy until a future time when they send back to you.