tracker filter and more!

MustNotSleep

hey, considering the outstanding development cycle this little program has, i thought i'd let you in on a feature i've been dying to have in a BitTorrent client, and i think it's fairly simple to implement, yet oh so helpful..

let's say you have 30 torrents seeding and leeching at one time, and most of them are from many different trackers.. how do you keep track of which ones are from which tracker, or separate the ones you want to be seeded most to get your ratio up in your favorite tracker, or give less priority to some other torrents?

in comes the "Filter" feature.

a little box you type practically anything (wildcards should be supported, but not necessary), say 'tracker.site.com' and BAM, all torrents from that tracker show up, and all others are hidden.. consider it a temporary list, and once you click on a little clear button beside the Filter box, you're back in "All torrents" view..

if you've seen the iTunes search box, this is something very similar..

more fields to be searched could be implemented too, via special search commands.. so i could see all the torrents with a specific name, the torrents that have a ratio upwards of 1:1, or the directories i'm saving each torrents.. hell, there could be whole instant categories made up from this..

i was once told there's an Azureus plugin that does something like this, but since i never was into Azureus, i wouldn't know..

anyways, this would be a kickass feature that would improve the best client out there right now, and it would surely attract more users, since i haven't seen anyone doing this or advertising it properly..

any thoughts or ideas?

thanks in advance! :D

This could be useful for users who manage many torrents with utorrent. Maybe just a suggestion, but the new search box could be used in similar fashion as iTunes'. If anyone uses iTunes, they know what i mean. i think this would match exactly what you are looking for with your search, and if possible, it could use technology that is already being developed/implemented.

This could be useful for users who manage many torrents with utorrent. Maybe just a suggestion, but the new search box could be used in similar fashion as iTunes'. If anyone uses iTunes, they know what i mean. i think this would match exactly what you are looking for with your search, and if possible, it could use technology that is already being developed/implemented.

if you'd read my post, i mentioned iTunes. ;)

anyways, that's what it is, yea.. just imagine in a list of 40+ torrents, typing in something like "STATUS:uploading >30k" and seeing all the torrents that are uploading ABOVE 30k/s..

having this feature in and expanding on it would be like what Google did with search.. :)

i hope this gets picked up..

I dont care. Filters or not, i can handle my torrents without this feature..

how exactly do you do that? i'm interested to know, maybe i'll find categorizing torrents on the fly with filters useless too.

how, in a listview of 30+ torrents, do you know which one is from which tracker, besides clicking on each torrent and checking the tracker URL or actually remembering where they're from?

other clients use categories, which i find tedious as well, because you have to categorize every time you start a torrent, that just takes more time until you actually begin downloading. i like it when i click on a torrent file, the download starts automatically, or i can click OK (like in BitComet), and it would start.. not only that, but Categories are very limiting, there's no way you can create your own "category" that searches for fields you want to see, yet with Filters you can pretty much filter out anything you wish, and it would show up.

having the Filter feature would separate uTorrent from everyone else, as far as managing torrents goes.

just look at the potential this feature has.. look at what iTunes has, the Spotlight instant search for OSX (and the one being implemented in Vista), the CTRL-J song find in Winamp, the Playlist search or Extended search in foobar2000, the File filter in Directory Opus... there are just so many examples of this technology out there, yet there are no implementations of this in a BitTorrent client.

even if you personally wouldn't use it (even though i can't figure out a reason why anyone wouldn't use this, maybe you can enlighten me why this would be useless), you can't deny that having this would simplify the process of categorizing torrents and showing exactly what you want.

It's an interesting concept, how well it would work would depend on the implementation of course - but of course this is down to ludde and vurlix deciding it's worthwhile doing.

For the moment, the labels feature which will apparently be in the next version is the most important step to organisation for me.

I don't care much but i'd prefer categories with flexible filtering rather than just filters.

that's just it.. categories could be permanent filters you could set in the options, so the filters would be applied constantly to new torrents..

many different uses could be based around filters..

I don't care much but i'd prefer categories with flexible filtering rather than just filters.

that's just it.. categories could be permanent filters you could set in the options, so the filters would be applied constantly to new torrents..

Not only to new... I'd like to have something a kind of Azureus' tabs but more nifty and flexible.

mmm Well I like the idea but I think it can be improved upon.

Why stop by just trackers? If they could develop a search box where you could type the following:

Tracker:trackername (finds tracker)

File:filename (finds a file within a torrent)

IP:192.168.0.* (finds a IP range on any given torrent)

client:bitlord (finds all users using client X)

>, <, = mb/gb (larger, smaller same as size X. Finds torrents under/over size X)

So you could do something like this:

search: File:pr0n <100mb (finds all "pr0n" files under 100mb)

search: tracker: p0rntracker.edu ip: 127.0.0.* (finds the IP range on X tracker)

I know this could make abuse easier but at the same time... If someone wants to abuse something they will do so with or without search function.

This could easily in to the current search box if no prifix is given it will search the torrent sites for what ever you searched for.

mmm Well I like the idea but I think it can be improved upon.

Why stop by just trackers? If they could develop a search box where you could type the following:

Tracker:trackername (finds tracker)

File:filename (finds a file within a torrent)

IP:192.168.0.* (finds a IP range on any given torrent)

client:bitlord (finds all users using client X)

>, <, = mb/gb (larger, smaller same as size X. Finds torrents under/over size X)

So you could do something like this:

search: File:pr0n <100mb (finds all "pr0n" files under 100mb)

search: tracker: p0rntracker.edu ip: 127.0.0.* (finds the IP range on X tracker)

I know this could make abuse easier but at the same time... If someone wants to abuse something they will do so with or without search function.

This could easily in to the current search box if no prifix is given it will search the torrent sites for what ever you searched for.

talk about not reading the thread.

yes, i mentioned this could be used for infinite amount of settings.. categories, setting upload/download limits, all settings, even creating a torrent ("make:d:stuffalbum tracker:blah.co.uk seed:1")... almost everything could be made to be controlled by this little box.. but for starters, it should be implemented as a hide/show feature only, and then be expanded..

can we get the devs to comment on this, please? thanks..

Maybe you should let google index your torrent files...

Heheh, just kidding. Seriously, I don't know how filtering could possibly be useful -- you're not really supposed to have hundreds of torrents loaded in the client, thus the need for such advanced searching is overkill, in my opinion. Go ahead and try to change my mind!

Heheh, just kidding. Seriously, I don't know how filtering could possibly be useful -- you're not really supposed to have hundreds of torrents loaded in the client, thus the need for such advanced searching is overkill, in my opinion. Go ahead and try to change my mind!

you make a valid point. however, don't think of it as "searching" as much as "filtering", which in this case would be very convenient..

also, this doesn't have to be bound to showing/hiding torrents.. we could start there, but in the future it could be used to set upload/download limits, making torrents, and in further development be built to support practically any GUI option.. with that feature alone and adding simple operators such as AND, OR and IF would be definitelly useful..

no?

What do you mean "supposed to"?

Why not? On private sites where ratio is important, having a couple-of-dozen torrents running is typical - if you're a member of a half-a-dozen of these sites, the numbers quickly build up.

Also, the kind of people most likely to switch to a low-resource client, are also the kind of people most likely to have a large number of torrents running; as such, it's a feature that will be of value to more people using utorrent, or thinking of switching, than your average torrent user.

EDIT: When I say 'running', I mean loaded in the client; they may be stopped, but stopping them is a lot more convenient than removing and then re-adding them whenever there's next a leech.

• 1 month later...

Archived