Plz Help, How do I gain back my HD space (already searched)

Bobbb

Ok, I have searched and found out that when you skip files and only pick a specific file, utorrent would pre-allocate the disk space. In my situation, I have downloaded a 50mb file but skipped like 1.2gigs of the other stuff, and since I have a small Hard Drive, I do not have any room left. I am wondering how i can get my 1.2gigs back.

Thanks for the all the help!

Just open the torrent in µTorrent and choose which files not to download then delete them but keep in mind BT has to download full chunks so there is a chance that the files will be recreated but it's better than BitComet's dodgy method of leaving the first/last chuck off a file.

i don't think you can delete seperate files in a torrent, even if you can, the torrent has already finished downloading, i have downloaded a 50mb file but it has taken up 1.2gigs of my HD. My question is, how can i get 1.2gigs back since utorrent has already finished downloading the process, it should be possible.

Ok, I have searched and found out that when you skip files and only pick a specific file, utorrent would pre-allocate the disk space. In my situation, I have downloaded a 50mb file but skipped like 1.2gigs of the other stuff, and since I have a small Hard Drive, I do not have any room left. I am wondering how i can get my 1.2gigs back.

If you are using NTFS, compress the folder with your incomplete downloads. You should get those 1.2Gb back, and even more :D

[RUS]"]

If you are using NTFS, compress the folder with your incomplete downloads. You should get those 1.2Gb back, and even more :D

So your saying i should compress the folder into a zip file then delete the original folder? Keep in mind that the original folder only has one file that is 50mb. Thanks for helping!

oh, is this only way to get back the space? Isn't it possible to just retrieve the 1.2 gigs? Are there any negative effects on compressing? I'm sorry if all these questions sound stupid :( . The problem with utorrent here unlike with other clients is that when utorrent pre-allocate the files, it does not create the file on the folder, thus you cannot delete it.

Is there a setting in utorrent to prevent this from happening again?

There is no bug and no problem. You must be doing something wrong.

what am i doing wrong, this is EXACTLY what i did:

1. Click on a torrent for 1.2GB

2. Click on skip download for all of the files except one

3. File finished downloading

4. Checked the folder and there was one 50mb File, but 1.2Gigs was used in the Hard Drive.

Note: During the download process, there were a couple times when the torrent would stop downloading and tell me there is a lack of space in the Hard Drive, thus i deleted some other files, while thinking i would get the missing space back after the download was finished.

i have tried compressing the folder but haven't gained back 1.2gigs, not even 100mb... :cry:

i really like utorrent and would recommend it to everyone but unless this problem is fixed...i don't see this happening :(

From all you said I can conclude that is not utorrent problem. Try to check your HDD for errors ("chkdsk /F" in console would be enough)

you already right clicked the torrent -> delete torrent & data ?

// of course you copy or rename your 50mb part before

one problem, the torrent has already finished and i clicked on delete, only delete, not delete torrent & data...anyway to solve this now?

yea, that's the problem, in the folder where the file was downloaded to, there was only the 50mb file, the 1.2gigs "dummy files" were missing in that folder but it still used it in the hard drive (note: i have hidden file setted as show)

i really appreciate all the help...

yea, that's the problem, in the folder where the file was downloaded to, there was only the 50mb file, the 1.2gigs "dummy files" were missing in that folder but it still used it in the hard drive (note: i have hidden file setted as show)

i really appreciate all the help...

;) it might be in your temp folder..... check your settings.........

uTorrent doesnt write to random directories. It must be in one of the directories you set for it - Default save dir, another dir you chose when loading that torrent, the Move To When Completed directory, etc..

Try, as odd as it sounds to me, to search for those missing files (assuming you have their names).

it's not in my temp folder and not in other folders (just searched)....this is really weird cuz everytime i skip files using other bittorrent clients, the dummy file would ALWAYS be located in the same folder as the file i downloaded to, but this time i only have the one 50mb file and no dummy files...i don't get this, how could something use an amount in my hard drive without having any files whatsoever...

Archived