Please someone help me!!!!

regfox2000

I recently downloaded utorrent as my 12 year old nephew has been using it for 12 months and has been downloading more movies than Blockbuster.

My problem is i cant get anything to work.

I am getting a Red circular warning sign at the bottom of the program which when i hold the mouse over it reads........

" A Firewall/Router is limiting your network traffic. You need to open up a port so others can connect to you".

I have been into options/preferences/connections and see you can randomise the open port there but still nothing and the same message at the bottom of the screen!!!!!(as above)

I have spent days and days and days and days and days reading about IP Address' ,Ports, NAT's etc....etc....etc......

I am on ADSL and have a wireless router and my daughter downloaded successfully once from her laptop but nothing since.

Can anyone pleassssssssssse help me to start enjoying what i know is a great service as when something takes 2 days to download and the result is nothing you feel like going to add/remove programs.

Can anyone just get me up and running please!!!!!!

Cheers

Reg.

You need to set up a static ip http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm and then you also need to portforward the port you are using with your bittorrent client http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

you also need to tell your firewall not to block internet activity so that those you download from and upload to are able to connect and transfer data back and forth from you to them and vice versa

different firewalls have different ways of setting up internet access so you will have to search for information regarding the particular firewall you are using

In Utorrent 1.6 (if that is what you are using) you can click on Options and you will find a "Speed Guide" a very nice feature that will allow you to set up your bittorrent client for the specific type of internet connection you are using :)

Hopefully this information will be helpful to you and you will soon be enjoying the benefits of torrents :)

edit to add: You might also want to check the site of the company that makes your router, as their might be updates for the router there. For example Lynksys had a specific problem with dealing with torrent data which caused all internet traffic to choke and has a firmware update that rectifies that specific problem

Archived