Slows down over night

Falcontalker

does sound like you might have an isp that is interferring during peak times of usage, some do

might only be monitoring bit torrent activities, try setting your encryption on and see if that helps during those hours in maintaining your daytime speeds during the evening hours

I might be wrong about it being peak time in his area, but it is peak time in mine and when my isp cuts my upload speed to 1kBs (my isp is a pain in da petute it does not care much what time of day it is actually..lol it throttles all upload activity pretty much all the time) but is more downright dead speeds in the evening till about 2 am in the morning. My daytime speeds are a fast crawl at 4 & 5 Kbs ..lol not exactly what you expect when you have a 6 mbits connection..lol

As I said, I might be wrong on it being the cause of his problem, but at least it was an attempt to help ... Ultima...if you have a thought on what may be his problem and how he might solve it, perhaps it would be more helpful to state it along with disagreeing with my guess on what might be causing his problem

editing and adding....

I re-read your post Falcontalker and noticed that you mention that even the browser is slowing down during those times. I had a similar problem in the past ...internet was being choked when I used any bittorrent client. I resolved the problem with an update of the router, which was suggested to me by a member of another forum, when visiting the site of the router I found that there was an update of firmware that specifically addressed this particular problem that the router had.

you might also consider increasing TCPIP to 100 http://www.lvllord.de/ the small program you can download there will assist you in doing that, than set net.max_halfopen in your advance settings of utorrent to 70

the thing that it is only at specific time frame of the day .. that is what leads me to believe it might be isp throttling ...but as Ultima points out, more information given on what is happening would give others a better idea on how to help you

hopefully if you post a bit more information, someone will be able to pinpoint the exact problem and help you resolve it

I do have some kind of an idea, and that's what the second part of my post was about... Was it not an attempt at helping as well? It would seem you might have taken a disliking to, or at least acquired some kind of bad impression of, me from the other thread, as you completely overlooked my attempt to help here O.o Meh, oh well. I'm just hoping it gets dispelled sooner or later.

I didn't bother mentioning TCPIP.sys because it only happens overnight. It's easily likely that his ISP is capping speeds (especially upload, but download included), and he's saturating it with his normal settings. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Things aren't always cut-and-dry, where you can always solve everything on your end. It'd be a complete waste of time if we figured out that his ISP was the cause, and that everything was out of his control in the first place, after we tell him to do a bunch of *possibly* irrelevant things.

I agree Ultima, with torrents ...nothing is much cut and dry ..tis too true ...no matter how much I read, no matter how many bittorrent clients I test, no matter how many gbs I download or upload.....no matter how many different torrent sites .....torrents and everything related to them boggles the mind......most likely why I'm so bloody damn hooked on the stuff :) forever a newbie with this stuff, never a boring moment

as for irrelevant...maybe you are right on that and though my intent was to help, perhaps I have caused him to try something out that was not necessary.....I do have a tendancy to believe the possibility of the isp throttling...though I am puzzled by the sluggish behavior of the browser...well...guess we will find that out if he provides feedback and we will be more able to help if and/or when he provides us with a bit more information on his problem

PS

Ultima, I don't dislike you in the least, if I was overly harsh in my words ..it was not my intent

... I give my opinion when something strikes me might need saying...I give my help when I think it might be of use to someone...has it value or not...that I guess is a matter of other people's opinions.. I always hope that it will result in helping someone or make someone give a second thought to something.

again..if I was overly harsh..I'm sorry ...all it was ...was my opinion on how things seemed from the angle I was looking at it at the time

No problem :)

And yeah the slowdown thing might be attributed to the ISP lowering the upload and download speed, whereby his upload speed is killing his Internet connection, and his download speed is just slowed down in general (on top of his upload speed overloading the slowed-down connection).

Thank you all for your ideas. I was on utorrent last night, at 10:00 it was running at 135kbs, then when I checked it today, it was running at 10kbs. Not sure why yet, I do have the TCPIP.sys file in place. Not sure I understand what the DHT selection does...sometimes I will click it on, it will increase the speed, somtimes it will decrease the speed. I will try anything of your ideas, and play around with it as I can. Once again, thank you all for your input.

It happens on the same torrent.....I was having two torrents running, now I am trying things with just one running.

Thank you all for your ideas. I was on utorrent last night, at 10:00 it was running at 135kbs, then when I checked it today, it was running at 10kbs. Not sure why yet, I do have the TCPIP.sys file in place. Not sure I understand what the DHT selection does...sometimes I will click it on, it will increase the speed, somtimes it will decrease the speed. I will try anything of your ideas, and play around with it as I can. Once again, thank you all for your input.

Archived