defragging while downloading

miffy

Is anyone aware of any implication of defragging your harddrive while downloading? I've read somewhere that NTFS volumes can be defragged properly even during heavy file i/o write usage. I'm using utorrent 1.6 and I'm typically downloading at 30 to 40 kbps, and on average uploading 20-30 kbps.

Besides the loss of data in a power outage, is there anything else that might need consideration? I just feel like i'm wasting processor power since I leave the computer on all night to finish a download and seed it. And its not like my 300 gb drive is going to get any tidier.

u cant move files that are in use.. which means that if a file is open by utorrent the defrager wont move it.. if it starts moving it while it's temporary closed by utorrent and the file is big, by the time it gets moved utorrent will demand access to it and will give u an error message.. so there will be problems while defraging and utorrenting.. i always avoid that..

what u might lose:

imagine u have set the disk cache to 32mb.. uT will not write to the file (it wont even open it) unless u have a full cache.. if the defrager starts moving around the file uT wont be able to open it, so it wont be able to write the data.. it will try 20 times in a single second (that's why i requested a feature for it to try serveral times in larger intervals) and it will fail.. that data gets dropped.. the torrent gets stopped (error: file open or already in use)..

dAbReAkA, i just tried defragging while downloading a 3.15 gb torrent, and i never experienced the error you described.

but i agree now - it's probably more efficient to stop downloading and just defrag, since the files that were being downloaded didn't seem to move at all and the report wasnt very encouraging:

*231,440 fragments for one 909 mb file. <-this was the main file i was dl'ing

which was like only down 2,000 from the initial analysis report.

Archived