Anyone know proper settings for 30 megabits/sec cable line?

afeldm1

I have optimum boost which gives me 30 megabits/sec download and 2 megabits/sec upload and I only average about 5-600 k/B/sec....it should be somewhere in the vicinity of 2 M/B sec...

I've tried a bunch of tweaking but nothing seems to work...obviously it has to do with the torrent and the upload speeds from everyone else but still.....sometimes in the past my download speeds hit 1 M/B a sec.....

Does anyone who really knows utorrent and computers know the proper settings I should be using???

No I have no router and am plugged straight into the modem.....truth is I do have about 8 torrents running at once (each one about 4 gigs) which won't give me the best speed on individual torrents but my overall speed is not working as a 30 Mbit connection should work....I mean even a T3 line is only 15 more mbits higher and it doesn't seem as if I"m getting the full use out of it....

Can anyone shed some light at all??

Please??

Oh how I wish I had your connection ;)

There aren't many of us out there as privelaged as you are with your data link. That said, try to get a torrent which is real new (High seed count, high/moderate leech count). As well, you can only download as fast as people upload :) - granted the whole idea of torrent is to bring forth a file from many different places.

Again, nice bloody connection!

Cheers,

Lexmex

if I remember correctly the fastest I've gotten is about 900 kB/sec down and my upload was about about 200 kB at the same time....

too be honest with you-I don't know if I've ever been set up to have optimum download speeds...thats why I think I need some help....

I tried the setup with my connection at xx/2mbps and it just opens up my upload to about 250 kB and then my downloads were going at about 250 kB and seemed as if they were getting throttled by the upload speed.....

Truth is I pretty much always get high seeded torrents and with lots of leechers also....I don't know...

Also at work we have optimum boost and 1 download went at 1.5 MB a sec....and the kicker was that the upload speed was set to 60 kB...doesn't make any sense.....yet at my house I"ll turn up the upload to 250 k/B and then rather then the downloads going faster they seem to slow up....and I'm not running any other programs or using the net at all.....

And I'm not 100% sure but I've never been capped before and don't think they cap in my area (judging by all my friends that live around here-Brooklyn NY)

Any ideas or suggestions?

Unless you have a reliable known torrent which will put out 2Mbps down for your link, there is no sure fire way. Though, I have experienced before how trackers/other torrent clients limit your downloading level if your upload is set to a low level...and then again, with my connection anyway - my downloads lower as my uploads increase...this happens at around 80Kb/s (I get 800 up / 6Mbs down)

As Ishi suggested, try downloading 'Ubuntu' (linux distro) or some other popular linux release

Cheerio,

Al

@afeldm1: Oh, they cap alright. A bunch of people had to complain to them for them to uncap. As of right now, I can't really tell if you're capped, as, like the previous 2 said, we need you to test a faster torrent. Your upload speed is fine -- 2mbps = 250KiB/s. Heck, 250KiB/s is above what it's supposed to be set to. Rerun the Speed Guide, select xx/2mbit, and don't mess around with your upload settings. Saturating your upload speeds is detrimental to your speeds overall, both download and upload.

I don't know if it's a settings thing-it may be torrent related and I might be getting throttled by having too many torrents open (a utorrent problem maybe)

Before I had 7 or 8 torrents open and I was downloading at 350 kB a sec all together and now I have 2 torrents downloading and I'm going at about 650 kB a sec.....I mean obviously it could be faster but at least it's moving....and I didn't even change anything....I am uploading at 125 kB though....I changed it to the xx/2mbit option and it doesn't seem affect it a whole lot....

Thats the thing though....at what speeds should I realize that they are capping a 30 megabit connection?

I tried it but I"m trying it while I have other things going so it's only going at 150kB sec

I'm not sure thought because one torrent is now going 250 kB and I"m averaging about 500 kB's on all my torrents....I mean it's not 4 MB's a sec but it's not as bad as it was before...

IMHO, download a large file from an HTTP source...knowing it will support 30mb/s connection speed. Like say microsoft or something ; take the avg. download time and if it is within reasonable figures as per your expectations, then you need to either troubleshoot your utorrent or get better sources.

If your HTTP download is less then u expect, then 2 things can be happening

1. ISP sucks

2. Tweak ur box (Windows Reg) - this can be googled

Let us know how it turns out

Archived