check ipfilter.dat for update every hour

drpiety

Sure, the ipfilter only gets updated once a day, but, there may be circumstances where a power-user might want to force-block a malicious IP, before the next day. Which is the reason for the 1 hour timer. But really, it could be set to wahtever is healthy for utorrent's CPU/mem usage.

I dont think it would be that difficult? Someway to watch the Last-Modified-Date of the ipfilter.dat would be enough I think.

Hammering which servers ? ipfilter.dat is loaded locally from your harddrive. He can already hammer the bluetack servers if he wants with their own program :P

But i do agree, no need for an automatic check every HOUR.. maybe every day or so. If you really need it hourly, replace it yourself, seems like a rare occusion to me.

Loading the ipfilter.dat periodically is very useful. I have uTorrent running straight for weeks at times and shuting down uTorrent to reload the ipfilter.dat would sacrifice my position in the swarm.

The best solution has been suggested, check the timestamp on ipfilter.dat for changes. If you program it to do this 4 times a day the average time lag would be 3 hours which is reasonable for forced changes in the ipfilter.dat.

no

this feature has nothing to do with auto-updating, or auto-downloading a NEW IPfilter, from a remote source/webserver.

This is a localized feature only, to watch the "Last-Modified-Time" of the ipfilter.dat file, and if the date/time changes, have it re-load the new data into memory, so there is no need to stop/exit and restart uTorrent.

This feature would not "hammer" any server(s), hell, there is no "Auto update" feature even in uTorrent, to auto-update the ipfilter.dat file.

On the other hand, maybe just a button to "resycn with ipfilter" or something? so, by pushing the button, any new ranges would be added, and old ranges removed, if watching the last modified data/time isn't feasible.

I have uTorrent running straight for weeks at times and shuting down uTorrent to reload the ipfilter.dat would sacrifice my position in the swarm.

I don't think this is exactly true. When you exit µTorrent, it saves peer list in resume.dat file, and loads this list when you reopen it. So you'll be connecting to the peers much quicker than at the beginning.

hi,

i use peergardian2, works great and blocks for all programs at the same time. it supports bluetack's lists.

but ipfilter, that i would like to see in utorrent, check every 6 or 12 hours for an update, although with pg2 its probably overkill. but a welcome addition to the program, for sure.

what are you guys talking about hammering any server? The hourly check of utorrent is only on your machine simply to know if Blocklistmanager (BLM) has updated the ipfilter.dat what happens every 24 hours.

BLM downloads automatically -> the next hour the file will be detected as utorrent checks it every hour if date is newer -> utorrent restart at least the ipfilter engine otherwise the feature is senseless as the new file just sits in your utorrent folder without beeing used.

what for sure is unhealthy for the you and the swarm is an outdated ipfilter.dat.

Is my request clear now ?

I posted to say that even if we do end up using an ipfilter, not all of us use it that seriously. If anything, updating the ipfilter should not be done automatically by default. An example is my case. All i use the ipfilter for is to block certain people I know from ever being connected to me on a torrent. Updating does me absolutely no good, but whenever I do change the file, hitting reload would do the trick.

I highly doubt that checking a last-modified date adds that much more complexity to the program. uTorrent checks the time, sees that an hour has passed, checks the last-modified date of the ipfilter file against a variable, if it's the same, bam, done, if it's not, it spawns a thread and reloads the ipfilter. But, I'm not the developer, so I can't say either way.

The ipfilter boolean is already in the Advanced Options, under it could be a ipfiltertime textbox for hours, so if you put 1 in there, it checks ever hour, 12, checks every 12 hours, 0 disables the auto-update. On the toolbar, have an "Update ipfilter now" button, and if the ipfilter boolean is set to true, then the button is enabled, otherwise it's disabled.

Satisfies both camps, right?

I do not need it but that means not that a reload filter would be bad. Add both a button and an hourly check for filedate of ipfilter.dat. Not much code anyways. Theres the feature ipfilter allready running but it really lacks the functionallity without autoreload (1h) and a button.

For me you can take out ipfilter.dat if 1h check is not added as I will not reload utorrent every day.

Archived