Cannot port forward correctly

thedynamichispanic

Hey, I am looking for some help.

I just moved into apartments on my college's campus. They offer a T1 internet service, which is a definite upgrade over my old cable internet.

My old internet I was getting steady up/download speeds of around 50 kbps.

I expected to be seeing way better speeds, but instead am maxing out at 10 kbps.

We have a router, a Linksys WRT54G. T1 internet. My computer is a Dell Dimension 8250.

I used to get a green circle, now it is red.

I setup a static IP:

IP: 192.168.1.200

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.150

Subnet 255.255.255.0

DNS 206.76.228.23

DNS 128.83.185.40

When uTorrent checks my port, the IP address it is checking is one I have no clue what it is:

-----------

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 44520 on 198.213.57.8...

Error! Port 44520 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.34.145) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

----------------

Why is it checking 198.213.57.8?

Any help would be extremely appreciated as I want to increase my speeds. Thank you!

Because thats the IP of the device that is connected to the internet. You are on a LAN behind a so called NAT Router.

you need access to that routing device to portforward a port for you to your computer so you can get incomming connections.

According to the infos that's the guy in charge for "your" IP:

OrgName: University of Texas at Tyler

OrgID: UTAT

Address: 3900 University Blvd.

City: Tyler

StateProv: TX

PostalCode: 75701

NetRange: 198.213.56.0 - 198.213.59.255

RTechHandle: SW888-ARIN

RTechName: Wilson, Steve

RTechPhone: +1-903-566-7155

RTechEmail: Steve_Wilson@mail.uttyl.edu

HTH

BUT...

.. if i understand your first post correctly the router thingy is a Linksys WRT54G that is in your building (i don't think its looked in a secret NSAT&T room) ;)

So what hinders you / a roommate to get your hand on this device and do the needed portforwarding yourself?

That's what the information you can find under your quoted link are for: To get the router thingy setup properly.

Start to understand this NAT thingy here:

http://www.portforward.com/help/pfprogression.htm

Archived