Major Speed Issues

squimmy

For ages now I've been able to get BT to work brilliantly, using my full connection, now suddenly today, I start having major problems.

I'm suddenly getting slow download speeds in utorrent (and any other client). My NAT is fine, I get the green icon in utorrent and my upload should be fine, a constant speed of 25 kB/s (my max) but my download speed doesn't go over 30 kB/s. This isn't right, I have a 2 meg connection and I usually get speeds of 200 kB/s. There are plenty of seeds so I don't see why i'm getting such a low speed. I should definately be getting over 100 kB/s. In this speedtest my speed is given as 1881 kbps down and 220 kbps up.

My ISP is BT (UK). I don't think they're bad for bittorent. I'm not using a standard port either - I'm using port 133281.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

i would love to hear the solutions to squimmy's problem.... i have the same issue with download speed as well. my problem started about 2 weeks ago.

my ISP is rcn in chicago. i've been searching this problem and it sounds like my ISP, rcn, is "throttling" me down..... it's interesting though because i'm still able to average upload of 70-80 kB/s.....

needless to say, this is very frustrating. i used to get 300-500 kB/s download. ;(

Hm... What ISP? Protocol Encryption enabled? Repatch TCPIP.sys (I doubt this would help, but hey, worth a try)?

@squimmy: Just FYI, other people have reported British Telecom to throttle during certain hours of the day, so I'm not sure if that's affecting you here.

Always worth using GOOGLE to do investigations of your own ISP. Often, there's a few people who misreport their problems as "ISP throttling BitTorrent!" -- but there's alot of info out there if you feel like searching for it.

...and maybe solutions to the problems that we cannot dream of here.

• 1 month later...

Archived