Changing of name creates undeletable folder

pintree3

It has happened more than once whereby I changed the name of a folder while a torrent was downloading/uploading and then, When trying to move or delete the folder Windows 10 thinks it is not there. A message along the lines of "Could not find the item...." If I am not mistaken this happens when a renamed folder ends with a dot (period, full stop).  Apps like LockHunter can't get rid of it, And though I succeeded once via DOS, on another occasion I ended up deleting everything on my desktop (my default save location).

I would like to know why utorrent does this and if there are known solutions regrading this problem. (Yes, not renaming the folder would be one solution)

utor.jpg

Edited by pintree3

Posted (edited)

There are a few reason/ -1- Two of the same movie, may be downloaded so the name is changed to differentiate between the 2 (whereby shortly after, the slower download will be stopped. -2- I hate, really hate, stupid as it may be, long file names -3- it's easier for me to read shorter file names, with just the important details than longer ones. -4- default folder for downloads is the desktop and sorter file names make it easier to read there too.

But how does, answering this question, help me solve the problem? 🙂

Edited by pintree3

3 hours ago, pintree3 said:

-1- Two of the same movie, may be downloaded so the name is changed to differentiate between the 2 (whereby shortly after, the slower download will be stopped.

From different trackers with the same filename and size?

3 hours ago, pintree3 said:

-2- I hate, really hate, stupid as it may be, long file names -3- it's easier for me to read shorter file names, with just the important details than longer ones.

Do you rename files with old standard (8 symbols for name and 3 for extension)?

-1- not exact same file name and size
for ex. renamed to: "TheAbcdeKlmMovie720" and "TheAbcdeKlmMovie1080"
as opposed to "Action Drama USA (English subs) The Abcde Klm Movie1080p [repack]"
-2- files renamed as above but since (as has been in such cases), the movie may have periods in it the original may read something like "
Action.Drama.USA.(English.subs).The.Abcde.Klm.Movie.1080p.[repack]

Posted (edited)

Thanks to another user with the same problem found in another forum here is the answer to solving this problem.
After failing all Command Prompt, and PowerShell options, This method works.
1. Get some program which reads and makes compressed files. I used 7-Zip
2. Right click the bad file and click Add to Archives. Then in the options select to delete original file after compression.
3. Leave other options same and proceed. Bad file will be deleted and a compressed file will be created in its place.
4. The problematic naming structure changes with addition of extension (.zip .rar .7zp etc) and can be deleted.

Note that step 2 is crucial. I failed to do so the first time and it did not work

P.S. How does one mark this as "Solved"?

Edited by pintree3
added question at end