seeding same files to diffrent trackers and using diffrent torrents

Pinchiukas

I download stuff from a few trackers, and when I have a file downloaded, i get a torrent file from the other trackers that have the file and tell utorrent to download to the directory that the file already is downloaded to. So I could seed the files to all trackers that have them. When downloading, most of the time I don't download all the files in a torrent. So I have a directory with the downloaded files and a dat file. And this is where the problem comes in. When I tell that the other torrent should be downloaded to the same dir, it won't see the beginning of the first file ant the end of the last file (they aren't the first and the last files in the torrents, they are the first ant the last files I downloaded). I don't add trackers to a single torrent because even though the main content is the same from all the trackers, often there are diffrent files in them (a torrent in one tracker can have more files than the other torrent in the other tracker). So maybe you can tell me a way to avoid this problem, or this could be considered as a kind of bug in utorrent.

• 2 weeks later...

@Pinchiukas: There's nothing that can be done about it -- pieces are the smallest appreciable unit of data in BitTorrent, and if you do not have a complete piece, it's tossed, as it fails to match the hash described in the .torrent file, and there is NO way to include hash data for every possible segment of a piece, otherwise you'll end up with a huge .torrent file.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you propose for µTorrent to be able to find out whether incomplete pieces are corrupt or not? If µTorrent doesn't junk the incomplete pieces and keeps them instead, you'll get the rest of the userbase barking up the tree saying that µTorrent corrupts data because it kept the incomplete and/or hashfailed pieces from a previous session and didn't discard it.

Archived