Flash uTorrent Web Interface

Pleh

Hi monsoon,

The project is kinda dead, its on hold at the moment while i finish some other projects, I will come back to it at some point and bring it back up to date.

you can download the latest version from here if you cant use the other links

http://www.box.net/public/u06lp4jtbu

Bare in mind that this version probably wont work with the latest 1.6.1 release, as they have changed the json slightly. 1.6 build 483 is the last version that I updated this for.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

This is excellent... thanks so much Pleh. Work refuses to change from IE6 to anything else. Since we run on Windows 2000, IE7 is out of the question. FlashUI was the perfect solution.

My only gripe thus far (which I'm sure you're already informed of and looking into) are labels, and the inability to add/remove/alter them... so I'm anxious for your return to brush up some of the rough edges.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As far as I can tell, since uTorrent 1.8 WebUI is built-in, and since I assume the flash requires access to data in what was once the webui.zip, there is no way to make FlashUI work on uTorrent 1.8, correct? If that's the case, by all means, make any version you like. :)

As it stands, I'm really not looking forward to going back to those Macs at school--they preferred FlashUI and froze up on the Javascript stuff. Though, to be honest I've yet to test the built-in 1.8 stuff on Safari / Portable Firefox for Mac, so perhaps the issues I had have been fixed.

Incorrect. FlashUI can still work with 1.8 (well, assuming the token system is disabled). The WebUI backend can be used to create any interface -- it just so happens that we made it easier to install the official WebUI project via µTorrent in 1.8. You can still replace the downloaded webui.zip with your own interface of choice.

@Pleh: Make sure you implement the token system. It's safe to use it by default, as that keeps it forward and backwards compatible for µTorrent.

Thanks for the info Ultima, I will make sure I get that implemented.

I was thinking of something along the lines of...

http://www.pleh.co.uk/experiments/uflex/

...for the UI, but flex seems to be quite bloated, this UI is over 500k where as the plain Flash one was only about 50k. Im not sure that flex is the way forward.

What do you guys think, is 500k too large for a web UI?

I think it probably is, but it would be good to get some other opinions.

I think most browsers cache flash files like images, so there is a chance it will load from your temp files rather than re-downloading. But either way its still a bit big, I might have to ditch flex and just create my own controls from scratch like I did before.

*Edit*

Just did some quick tests on firefox with firebug and it does indeed cache the swf, so once you have loaded it once, it should load from the cache almost instantly next time.

Yeah with Frequently I meant that it isn't every time but it is still often depending on the browser and its cache settings.

A 500k upload is more a problem for the µtorrent side then the downloading side. But its only a minor objection. The example looks real nice. Might be worth it if it saves you many hours of developing your own interface from the ground up. Just wanted to bring this up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived