Seed speed issue

Speednut3

Hello there,

I`ve done a search and cant find a similair issue so here we go.

I have a DEDICATED 100mb server running windows 2003 web edition.

No ports are blocked and windows firewall is turned off.

When I use FTP I can max out the 100mb server speed.

When I use utorrent however I can only reach 10mb upload speed (1000kb`s).

Now I`m no noob and understand all torrent issues like amount of peers and their max lines etc etc.

My max connections has been patched to a decent amount as well so its not that.

Is there some restriction in utorrent where by once a certain speed is reached it is not capable of exceeding it?

One example is if I am uploading at 10mb and I try to download from my home pc I get nominal speeds. If I then stop the torrent and start another one where my home pc is the only peer I get max speeds. I have then added more peers who I know and basically the upload speed from my server hits 10mb and thats it, no more.

Any clarifications from programmers would be appreciated.

Also all lights are green etc etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

There is no such restriction -- µTorrent works fine on gigabit lines. I'm a bit confused by your units of measurement, though. Are you talking about megabits, or megabytes? And 1000kb/s != 10mb/s no matter the unit, which I suspect is a typo, but the units are still catching me here.

100mbit/s = 12.5MiB/s, but overhead might have to be taken into account. I'd say 2.5MiB/s is a bit high for overhead, but 10MiB/s is still a respectable speed given your maximum upload speed, so I doubt there's anything wrong with your configuration. (This is assuming you mean "10mb upload speed" as in 10MiB/s)

@Speednut3: It's still not clear enough. There's a difference between kilobits and kilobytes, just as there is a difference between megabits and megabytes. Or just bits and bytes in general. 1 byte = 8 bits, and I have a feeling you're mixing the two ideas up.

That's still the same thing. If µTorrent is saying 1000kB/s, then that's not 10MiB/s like you seem to think. I really don't know how else to make you understand the difference between the units when you're still not making the distinction clear in your posts.

Anyway, whatever. Do you have a limit set on the upload speed?

Thats what I thought, I`m only getting 10% of that and the peers connected are capable of taking it too. I was testing with 5 guys on 24mb connections and the overall upload was only 1000kilobytes per second.

Any ideas?

Could my memory on the server of 256mb be a problem?

Cheers

My monthly download limit is 500GB.

This is a leased server that is dedicated ie none shared.

Unfortunately as it is locked down windows web server, when I go to dsl speed tests it says my security settings don`t allow some active x etc which I don`t know how to change as this is my first server.

Stumped :(

Ok let me try and explain my more recent issues.

Lets say I creat a torrent file on my server. If I seed it and connect from home I only get 40kb`s. If however more leechers join they don`t get max speed they are capable of. They all get a little bit until I reach the 1000kb`s barrier.

Why wont utorrent give me 800kb`s from my home pc when I am the only peer? It connects to me but only gives me 40kb`s?

Its nothing to do with firewalls etc as my 8mb home pc is on 20-1 contention and I allways get between 6-8mb download speeds.

I just don`t understand why when the bandwidth is available from my server it only gives me 40kb`s and other users similair small values until there is enough peers to hit my 1000kb`s block.

Any help?

Archived