µTorrent Freezing entire computer

DD32

Ok, In a nut shell, i'm running the latest version of uTorrent. However if the application is runing, then the computer will completely freeze for ~2 seconds, then run normally for 3 seconds,then repeatt, i can still type, but it wont show up on screen until after the freeze if over.

As ssoon as i close uTorrent its fine.. I dont have to have any torrents downloading either..

The CPU usage keeps jumping from ~5% to 100% for every freeze, and you can guess which application is using that 100% -- uTorrnet -- I've been using this build since it was released, and have never had this problem, i've even removed all the torrents from the interface, and moved all the files on the hard drive, That didnt make a difference either..

Help! Has anyone else seen anything like this?

I'm now using uPnP which i wasnt using a few weeks back.. It hasnt been playing up as long asuPnP has been enabled however, just for the past few days..

I've got no clues..

Oh the other thing that confuses me, The mouse contnues to work normally... Just it cant be used to change windows or anything either while its freezed.

D

uTorrent 1.6 Build 474

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 32bit

===

When was the last time you patched TCPIP.sys?

===

..Wow fast reply..

I'm not sure i have even touched it in the recent months, i might have fiddled with it back when uTorrent first came out, but never touched since...

I've also installed all the windows updates when they've come out, But i dont think it started at patch time either.

D

Its a Speedtouch 510.

uPnP was allready disabled within uTorrent... But i enabled it recently when i put this router in..

Strangely enough, It seems to be working now.. without freezing, but it definatly was a few moments ago...

D

EDIT:

I've also shut down all background processes and services before to no luck.. but somethings done its job now.... Wait no, There it freezes again.. Its not freezing as often now as it was before. All the comptuer vitals are in the green as well.

Sorry i didnt meant that to be interprated that way either.

I enabled uPnP when i put the speedtouch in a few weeks back, Strangely enough uPnP was allready disabled when i checked then, i just toggled it on and off and no difference.(Yes utorrent has its port open too tho.)

Yes i did answer your question about incompatible software.

I stated i had shut down all background processes and running software.(Including Virtual hardware)

(Not that i've seen any incompatible software lists around, feel free to direct me to them; But its been running in the same configuration that its in now that its had for the past 3 months, no software additions or removals.)

D

No; Fully shutdown i can assure you.

I dont have any Firewalls or AV installed, Nor do i have any process guards, anti malware or whatever else installed.

Yes i have a few items which use software hooks to create virtual peieces of harware, No these do not affect it, They've been there longer than i've been using utorrent, and 1.6 has been running fine with them for awhile.

I did disable them completely as well.

Also i can assure you theres no malware or virii here, I know a lot will say that and not actually check, but i can assure you its clean.(Part of my job involves removing, i know when its there)

D

Alright then. I'm going to be going now, though, so I'll just say that my hunch is still telling me that the problem likely lies with your TCPIP.sys limit and/or your net.max_halfopen settings (net.max_halfopen must be set to a number less than the TCPIP.sys limit), but we'll have to wait to see if clearing the settings helps.

Hmm.. Actually its happening when its in seeding mode on _any_ torrent..

If its only downloading its not got an issue, as soon as something switches into seeding mode, or i start it up for seeding it'll start the lockups.

The uTorrent GUI isnt responsive, nor is any other app. when it happens. Just the mouse moving about.

I'll clear out the settings and see how it goes after this downloads finished like i said before.

===

Alright then. My hunch is still telling me that the problem likely lies with your TCPIP.sys limit and/or your net.max_halfopen settings, but we'll have to wait to see if clearing the settings helps.

===

TCPIP.sys limit was 10(default) i upped it to 50 with the patch, same thing.

Half open was set to 16 in utorrent, reset it back to 8 with no change.. (Having it set to 16 in utorrent and 10 in the OS wouldn't've been helping i'm sure.. that'd explain the crappy speeds the last few days since the last windows update then)

D

Hm... freezing only when seeding... that just complicates things more, as I don't remember seeing something like this happen before (might be because I'm sleepy -- 1:01AM here)... Maybe someone else will be able to help you while I'm sleeping, or if not, hope that I think of something before I get back :P

Thanks for the help Ultima, It is apreciated.

I'm just as confused as you probably are, and its only 3pm here :P

I'll be having a poke around in settings in the router.. might be something up with incoming connections(as thats when it'd be accepting the mode during seeding right?)

D

Nah, you're always getting incoming connections, be it downloading or seeding. I really can't think of anything, so I'm just going to take random jabs at the dark... (I'm assuming you tried clearing the µTorrent settings already) How is your Protocol Encryption setting set? Try playing around with peer.lazy_bitfield and net.low_cpu?

I Found the culprit.

I run SpamPal 1.5, it never caused any issues.. However it seems, that the other person in the house "was getting too much unmatched spam" so decided to upgrade to the latest 1.7, and denying they had changed any settings.

During downloading theres not too many incoming connections, as the torrents i download are usually well seeded with very few downloading peers, but as soon as it went into seeding mode for most torrents, the upload speed would go up.. and the spampal layers would go haywire with the extra load.

Damn PITA, because to make it worse, said person had downgraded from 1.7 back to 1.5 hoping he'd get away with it.. but forgot to reboot.. and i noticed it had that spampal DLL loaded...

In short, Case closed.

I'll agree with others though, You might want to include a new section in the FAQ for "Spam interception" software that can cause issues.(Any that do transparent filtering i'd guess).

D

(Which reminds me... Since when did that account get admin status.. *Downgrades other account to highly restricted*)

Yeah, I assumed i had shut SpamPal off as well, Because with the older version it didnt load those extra transparent layers... Wasnt until i triple checked with a process explorer i realised what had happened..

Thanks for the help, Wouldnt've got half way to a solution without your help :)

D

Archived