specific torrent disconnects me from the internet

santakelev

i've worked with uTorrent for quite a while and never had problems. recently, i've started downloading a pretty large torrent (a movie file) , and after i leave my computer idle for an hour or so, my computer disconnetcs from the internet. also, my connection speed becomes very slow (before disconnection...).

all other torrents work fine, and if i pause that specific torrent and leave all others working, everything works fine.

any ideas? thx in advance... :)

if it's one of the torrents we can't talk about here (see Announcement!) it could be that in that case the MediaSentry guys are poisoning it and your PC is simply hitting hard from their armada of datacenter computers on their highspeed backbones which causes your network card to wave the white flag and surrenders under the packet storm from them!

i patched TCPIP.SYS, and that seemed to solve the disconnection problem. however, it still makes all other internet activities (like browsing) extremly slow. i want to follow the rest of Ultima's list but i don't know what things like DHT or Upnp means....and what i should try first...

my official conection speed is 2.5 mbps d/l, and 150 kbps (i think...) u/l. i ran a spped test that says my d/l is 550 kbps and 153 u/l.

my speedguide settings are : u/l limits :186 kb/s. u/l slots: 8. connections(per torrent):100. connections (global): 750. max active torrents: 9. max active downloads: 8.

i'm using Conexant AccessRunner usb adsl modem, and no router. i'm not sure what "half open limit" is...if u mean my "net.max_halfopen" setting, then it is set to 8.

thx again! :D

THERE you have the problem!

your values are WAAAY to high regarding conections. max torrents etc.

No wonder that your Networkcard surrenders under that stress!

press CTRL+G and choose in the dropdown menue the value x/192.

If that value gives you still problems go down one setting!

But do NOT set any values that are affected by the uploadspeed setting higher than the 192 suggestion.

BT is NOT http download. More connections(higher settings) does NOT mean faster and better downloads. The opposite is the case; as you have now expirienced first hand!

You have confused kilobits/second bandwidth speeds with KILOBYTES/second file download speeds.

There are 8 bits to a byte...and what's more BitTorrent has to do more than just 'download' and 'upload' files, so it actually takes somewhere between 9 and 10 kilobits/sec bandwidth to download (or upload) at 1 KILOBYTE/sec.

Your "150 kbps" upload bandwidth is really only about 15-18 KILOBYTE/sec useable file upload speed...not the 186 KILOBYTE/sec upload speed you previously were trying to force µTorrent to use -- which was totally overwhelming your connection!

Archived