Please explain Seeds #/Avail.

FriendlyGuy

Hello,

I've noticed that on private trackers, µTorrent reports the number of Seeds in the Detailed Info pane as much lower than on the tracker's page (which is updated about every 20 minutes).

And on any kind of tracker, right before I complete a torrent, the availibility may be relatively high, but as soon as I complete and it goes into seeding mode, it drops dramatically.

Could someone please clue me in as to what's going on?

Obviously as a seeder there is no point talking to other seeders as it uses bandwidth. But sometimes it is useful to know how many seeders out there that are really seeding. If there are none, then time to turn on seeding for that file :) As a pure seeder there is a way to work out the availability indirectly by looking at the rate you are uploading, and the percentage change for other downloaders and working back to their effective download rate and inferring who else is seeding. It is very inexact though and only is relevant with very small groups. I can't explain what the "peer DL" means though! How can I be seeding at 50k to a peer and it reports the peer's DL as 10k?

1. Is there an explanation for this that I don't get? If the tracker page is frequently updated, and I just selected "Update tracker" for a torrent, shouldn't the number of Seeds match?

2. I can understand being disconnected from the seeds, but not being aware that they're there? Isn't the tracker the one that relays that info?

Dr_Acula, that sounds really useful, but could you give me an example in layman's terms? I'm kind of mathematically impaired :(

A tracker will report just its seeds, but when you add in DHT seeds that are tracked by other trackers and even seeds where their tracker no longer exists, there may be many more. One of the purposes of DHT is to be independent of trackers so no-one (ie the MPAA) knows who is out there. But in reality it is easy to find out - just join the swarm and you quickly find everyone. In simple terms, DHT means that if A, B and C need to connect, and A talks to B via one tracker, and B talks to C via another tracker, then A and C are able to find each other through B.

I am referring to a private tracker, no DHT, no Peer Exchange, and it's the tracker that reports many more Seeds than µTorrent (58 seeders on tracker page versus 12.998 Avail. in µTorrent, for example). As I said, the tracker page refreshes often, so the info isn't outdated.

So...

When seeding, Avail. will show the availibility as what I have + what the interested peers have. Since as a seeder I'm not connected to other seeds, they will never count in the Avail.

The Detailed Info pane will show the total number of seeds, as "0 of # connected (# in swarm)," where the first pound sign is the total number of seeds.

Is this right or wrong?

Archived