Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gray

?error in the guide? + a question on migrating part files

My second comment/question on the guides - plus question on extensions

Please transfer to a better forum if more helpful for other confused nOObs like me.

Migrating/transferring torrents - using file extensions:

1) In the guide 'Migrating your files to µTorrent' - section 'Renaming appended files' - instruction 1. for a .bat file (which is for renaming uncompleted downloads from another client software) - QUOTE:

'# Open Notepad and write this line into it (replace "!ut" with whichever file extension you need to remove): REN *.!ut *

Is there something missing from this formula? I changed the "ren *.!ut *" to "ren *.bc! *" (without the " symbols) to deal with bitcomet partial files - but it does nothing. (Important to check by doing a page refresh if using explorer to view those files - changes may not show otherwise...).

It is easy to adapt it to CHANGE a final extension -

eg. use "ren *.bc! *.!ut" to change from BitComet extension to the µTorrent extension -

but I don't know how to instruct just to REMOVE the final extension - and leave the underlying one unchanged and exposed -

eg. files may end ".avi" or ".wmv" or ".ppt" etc before the last added extension.

So - QUESTION: How can I enter a batch file to remove that final extension only - leaving the underlying one?

2) NEW QUESTION - extensions and migrating files:

When importing/migrating partial files, is it necessary that they do NOT have the final !ut extension added - so are recognised in setup by their originating torrents? - or can one add the !ut extension to them BEFORE importing to µTorrrent - and have them both recognised by µTorrent and by their originating .torrent file?

(NOTE: This is not a question on the option of having µTorrent automatically add the !ut extension to files that it is already in process of downloading. That option is available under Preferences. This question is for having µTorrent recognise migrated/imported partial files already under progress from another client software - and so avoiding restarting downloads from zero.

SEE guide 'Migrating your files to µTorrent' - note also the need to 'Force Re-Check' to avoid overwriting a file or triggering a new download).

Ok - long post because I tried to be clear...!

I would be grateful for instruction about the extensions and the Rename.bat coding.

Thanks!!

gray

1) Try this...

@for /r %%i in (*.bc!) do @move "%%~fi" "%%~dpni"

Copy and paste the code into a new text file and save it as rename.bat and run it from the same directory.

2) As long as you have the !ut extension option enabled in µTorrent, I do believe you don't have to remove the !ut extension from existing files (I'm not 100% sure though). If the files contain odd extensions that are not supposed to be there other than !ut (like !bc), you WILL have to remove them.

Edit: Better than your code silverfire ;D

@Ultima - Thanks for your .bat file - it works nicely!

I have no idea what language or script that is - (I only have a very limited understanding in DOS, for things like autoexec.bat and config.sys) - So can I add "rem" comments to this script or begin a line with ";" to include comment lines into the .bat ?

Your continuation comment:

- If you need to remove an extension different from bc!, change the bc! in set ext_rem=bc! to that extention

- sorry, I don't see how it fits in. This line is not in your quoted Code. I thought it might be a line that could set an extension in the first place, but as a stand-alone instruction (.bat) it doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks again.

@gray: It's just your standard run-of-the-mill batch file :P

@for /r %%i in (*.bc!) do @move "%%~fi" "%%~dpni"

See the part that I bolded? That's what you want to change (if anything).

@Ultima: It's still mostly my code :P

Shush, I know that already :P

@gray: That comment was remanant of the previous (massive) script I posted earlier. Ignore it :P You can set the extension by changing *.bc! to *.EXT where EXT is the extension you're trying to remove.