Better settings

man_uva

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a good general rule is to not max out any 1 type of connection. Keep UL about 80% of max, and the same for DL (not that you'll ever max it...)

If you have a newer router that supports Traffic Shaping/QoS and ACK-priorization, you can max out your upload connection, getting you 20% more upload-capacity

Hawking Technologies also has something for this: http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=36&FamID=80&ProdID=233

Last, but not least, there is also a small Traffic Shaping utility available for Windows: www.cfos.de

All of the above sollutions allow you to use BT at maximum rates (at least for outgoing traffic, incoming is possible but more difficult), which should give you a small boost in speeds, without making your connection / ping times slow, meaning you can do online gaming / voip / etc. while using BT.

cFosSpeed is an amazing little proggie...when properly configured you can constantly max out your BW and surf, play games, etc. I use it all the time, my BW is maxed out as I type and on my connection there are 3 CoV beta games running. uTorrent is running on two of those rigs. I think I will vouch for cFosSpeed.

I'll have to give cFos a try.. hope it doesnt mess anything up :P

It shouldn't, at least, it never gave me troubles. You do need to do some configuration, as in putting µTorrent in a low priority class and optionally putting some programs in high / higher classes, but it comes with a pretty standard list and some builtin rules for browsing and email. Just adding µTorrent to the list, selecting your connection (usually done automatically) and upping µTorrents upload speed to 100% :-)

Bloody hell guys, thanks for the Cfos tip!!!! :D

I never heard of something like this and was always manually adjusting thottles according to other programs running.

Right now I'm uploading with throttles OFF, listening shoutcast and websurfing at blazing speed :P

It truly works.

Bloody hell guys, thanks for the Cfos tip!!!! :D

I never heard of something like this and was always manually adjusting thottles according to other programs running.

Right now I'm uploading with throttles OFF, listening shoutcast and websurfing at blazing speed :P

It truly works.

Yep. cFosSpeed r teh B0mbZ0rz ;)

any cfos tip here? i installed and added the programs i use and setted their priorities...i realli cant see much more advance settings that would require for it to work... i waited...and waited...as long as my cfos is on, my utorrent goes 0/0 . any tips? can someone give a step by step if possible? thanks alot

Hmmm.... :?

No thanx. Programs like those are only fit for really poor upload/download speeds. Other than that, its nothing more than a pretty animation(which leads some users to believe its actually doing something useful). Unless you have really poor speeds, I wouldnt bother w/ it...Also, set a system restore point before installation incase you decide to uninstall...It has been known to wipe out network setups completely.

Oh yeah, and as icedog mentioned, it is not freeware. 30 day trial.

I guess there's two sides to that argument - obviously, if you have loads of upload bandwidth then you're not going to be quite so worried, but the majority of us in the UK have very poor upload speeds, so maxing it out is far too easy (I have 384Kb/s up and even so I would like more, but this is still a far greater upload than most users).

No thanx. Programs like those are only fit for really poor upload/download speeds. Other than that, its nothing more than a pretty animation(which leads some users to believe its actually doing something useful).

Lol, cmon u didnt even try it and concludin.. I cheked out that software.. Damn cool, well it keeps ma speed constant for upload as well as downloads.. And its not just some pretty animation.. 8)

Well who said its not freeware :twisted: U guys know wat im talkin abt, go for vers. 2.13.. Vers. 2.12 has some corrupt settings wen u go for its freeware version :evil:

No thanx. Programs like those are only fit for really poor upload/download speeds. Other than that, its nothing more than a pretty animation(which leads some users to believe its actually doing something useful).

Lol, cmon u didnt even try it and concludin.. I cheked out that software.. Damn cool, well it keeps ma speed constant for upload as well as downloads.. And its not just some pretty animation.. 8)

Well who said its not freeware :twisted: U guys know wat im talkin abt, go for vers. 2.13.. Vers. 2.12 has some corrupt settings wen u go for its freeware version :evil:

I did try it, for about a week. Where did I say that I didnt?

I guess there's two sides to that argument - obviously, if you have loads of upload bandwidth then you're not going to be quite so worried, but the majority of us in the UK have very poor upload speeds, so maxing it out is far too easy (I have 384Kb/s up and even so I would like more, but this is still a far greater upload than most users).

I only have 32kb/s upload :cry: .

so is it CFos or CFospeed?!

AFAIK, they're the same, except cFos comes with a DSL/ISDN Dial-in Driver. If you're using a cable modem or otherwise don't need that, you should go with cFosSpeed.

thanks tarkus that was a realli precise and clear reply... It's just that i have tried cfos speed it realli slows everything down and let me have alot of priority on surfing thats all.....its not only slow BT speed its total 0kb/s ..looks like that aint the program for me =[ . Unless someone give an indepth configuration that I missed perhaps? (All I did was open the cfos thingy and chose the programs and priority...utorrent setted to lower priority and browser to high)

so is it CFos or CFospeed?! I am getting confused here...both are 30 day trial am i correct? I tried it dint do me any good at all...need advice!!

Well watever Tarkus told u is true but if u want more info on cfoss and cfosspd u can refer to this link http://www.cfos.de/cgi-bin/cutecast/cutecast.pl?session=dX9GCMtLksK91tdwiFoFoLf41J&forum=8&thread=43

Im on cfspd but u need to do some changes.. All the prgms which needs bandwidth u need to pass them through cfspd first else whenever one will try to use the net there'll be some fluctuations.. Wat i did i removed all the prgms it had in cfspd and added my own like utorrent, web brwsers, etc..

Im more on p2p stuff so i gave utorrent the highest priority and it gives me a high constant upload as well as download.. For brwsers i put them on nrmal.. U wont get that slow brwsin xperience.. But it will depend on u.. If u put some prg on very low prority it will be given bandwith the last favourin the highest one first, i hope u gettin my point..

In the priorities u will c "Favor Bandwidth" use it in case u download more and "Favor pings" u can use that in case u play online games more.. (If u want a high constant bandwidth leave it on Favor bandwidth)

The prgs are 30 days trial but u need to look more dude ;) Try relayin all ur bandwidth prgs to cfos or cfspd and put ur p2p on highest and c for any difference.. (Plz chek it for a popular torrent where u have more seeds and peers) For BloodStaindHurricane it didnt wrk out.. If urs is same too i recommend u dont use it in that case.. It wrks cool for some users but for some it doesnt :(

I hope this will help u out.. :twisted:

Archived