Better settings

man_uva

so is it CFos or CFospeed?! I am getting confused here...both are 30 day trial am i correct? I tried it dint do me any good at all...need advice!!

Well watever Tarkus told u is true but if u want more info on cfoss and cfosspd u can refer to this link http://www.cfos.de/cgi-bin/cutecast/cutecast.pl?session=dX9GCMtLksK91tdwiFoFoLf41J&forum=8&thread=43

Im on cfspd but u need to do some changes.. All the prgms which needs bandwidth u need to pass them through cfspd first else whenever one will try to use the net there'll be some fluctuations.. Wat i did i removed all the prgms it had in cfspd and added my own like utorrent, web brwsers, etc..

Im more on p2p stuff so i gave utorrent the highest priority and it gives me a high constant upload as well as download.. For brwsers i put them on nrmal.. U wont get that slow brwsin xperience.. But it will depend on u.. If u put some prg on very low prority it will be given bandwith the last favourin the highest one first, i hope u gettin my point..

In the priorities u will c "Favor Bandwidth" use it in case u download more and "Favor pings" u can use that in case u play online games more.. (If u want a high constant bandwidth leave it on Favor bandwidth)

The prgs are 30 days trial but u need to look more dude ;) Try relayin all ur bandwidth prgs to cfos or cfspd and put ur p2p on highest and c for any difference.. (Plz chek it for a popular torrent where u have more seeds and peers) For BloodStaindHurricane it didnt wrk out.. If urs is same too i recommend u dont use it in that case.. It wrks cool for some users but for some it doesnt :(

I hope this will help u out.. :twisted:

thanks mephisto!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

zixter:

Personally, I put my torrent clients at the lowest priority and my browsers and streaming media players at the highest priority. Those are fairly low bandwidth apps, and I want them as fast as possible. OTOH, I keep at least one torrent client open virtually 24/7, so I don't might it being last in the bandwidth chain.

This doesn't slow down my torrent apps unless they're competing with something for bandwidth that has higher priority. Most of the time uTorrrent and/or Azureus run at top speed, but if I need some of that bandwidth, cFosSpeed will give it to me.

I'm not sure why it would slow down uTorrent unless the bandwidth is going to something with a higher priority. It does take a couple days or so to fully train cFosSpeed, but it still shouldn't be throttling your bandwidth unless it's needed elsewhere.

If you can't get it to work right, you might want to try a message in their forum. It's worth the trouble, if you can get it working right.

First of all, thank you tarkus for your advice. But CFos is still a program which i can only trial for 30 days. I am not buying it even if it is good because I am only a student with no income. However I will still try it out but what I am afraid this time is it works too well for me to resist not buying it :P . You pointed out that the program needs a few days to get "trained" and that was somethign I never tried. I will try it out. Thank you.

hmm.

i've been using cFos for a couple of years now.

it doesn't increase your bandwidth nor is it some suspicious lil prog.

i'm very suspicious about those "speed proggies" too.

the traffic shaping of cFos is more or less a very intelligent packet management.your connection doesn't get much faste..but the downloads/uploads will be more steady..such as surfing with an almost maxed out client or parallel downloads..works like a charm here.

check the links provided here and have a read.

i can only recommend.i actually paid for it since i liked it so much.

not exepensive either.use the trial period & decide for yourself..there's verions on some trackers too i've noticed.

i'm running cFos 6.10 here..regarding zixters post U should give this a try.

as for cFos speed, it's more of a list of progs that access the web where u can set sort of priority values..

normal cFos is more than enough imo..u just need to calibrate your line once or twice.

peace

What does this calibration pulse do? Sorry I'm completely clueless. I can definitely see a difference while browsing, and I'm uploading and downloading at full capacity. It looks good, but do you not need to put upload bandwith limits at 80% for bittorrent for overheads? I thought that was the rule?

erm.

i'm not an expert either hehe..from what i know cFos sort of measures your line when calibrating.u'll find the values in cfos.ini.

as for the general upload, 80% is still the rule of thumb.i've raised it a little tho. i have 6mbit/512..my max upload for bt is about 58-62..never had problems with that.62kbs was the border when my download speeds began to

drop..esp from irc & ftps.

in general, u get a more stable connection with cFos in terms of fast surfing while running bt and other progs, uploads/downloada are quite fast & stable..used to be flakey sometimes.

i think cFos is a tool for the massive downloader/uploader..if u hardly max out your connection or just sometimes grab something from bt or other p2p networks u won't notice any difference i think.

you may take a look here

http://www.cfos.de/cgi-bin/cutecast/cutecast.pl?session=Ev7kA1n9NBpubdqj5uc2RxwrKw&forum=8

but that wasn't much of a help for ya, or? :?

peace

heiLand

I don't use cFos but I read on it a long time ago. It didn't work with USB modems (or was it ADSL lines?) so I had to look elsewhere.

AFAIK, there is two parts to cFos. The first and most important is ACK packet prioritization. What this does is ensure your connections do not bottleneck if you max out your upstream. You see, when a computer sends you a file, it does it in chunks. Before it sends you the next chunk, it requires that you send back a "got it! send me more" (the ACK packet). When you max out your upstream those "send me more" packets get caught behind a line. If it takes too long, the sending computer thinks you never got it and sends the chunk again. That's why your internet seems to grind to a halt, you are getting repeated chunks that you already have! The ACK packet prioritization simply makes sure that those are the first to go out regardless of other things you are sending out.

For this reason alone, you can unlimit your upstream and use everything you've got. The 80% is a rule of thumb to create a 20% pipe for those ACK packets! But you don't need that any longer, they are first to go out and won't be caught in a line.

The second part of cFos is related to badwidth shapping. This is the ability to give more/less bandwidth to specific applications or restrict it with hard caps. This is invaluable when several applications are competing for available bandwidth. This is what is referred as QoS. There are many ways to implement QoS, not sure what cFos does (I think this is where the training is involved). There are even QoS implementations where you can prioritize based on port, protocol, IP, MAC address, etc.

So, to rule out any doubts, you do NOT need the 80% upstream cap if you are using cFos or any other QoS type application. Enjoy your bandwidth to its fullest. :)

excellent explanation.thank you :)

For this reason alone, you can unlimit your upstream and use everything you've got. The 80% is a rule of thumb to create a 20% pipe for those ACK packets! But you don't need that any longer, they are first to go out and won't be caught in a line.

now i know why i didn't have probs raising my upspeed.

cheers for the enlightenment :)

peace

heiLand

Thanks for the detailed replies, I appreciate it :) . So it doesn't work with USB modems? Dang! Any other traffic shaping programs out there that do the same job. It does seem to work, but I'm just wondering.

Thanks

edit - Actually cfosspeed is ok for USb modems - http://www.cfos.de/techinfo/techinfo_e.htm

Yeah it may not have been at the time he experimented with it, that program has evolved over the years into a great program.

I just tried cFosSpeed 2.13, and wow, it actually works! It's great to seed at full blast and see my ping on IRC be at only 110-140ms, compared to the 800-1000 I had before... I'm sure the ping priority mode would reduce it from 110, but I'd rather have the full bandwidth use. :)

Thanks for the recommendation, this is great!

Just out of curiosity.

I have WinXP installed and under my network properties I also have

Qos-Packed manager along with TCP/IP etc.

Does it do the same thing as cFos?

Making the "Got-Piece-Package" high-priority,

which allows someone to use 100% of their upload,

without loss of downloadspeed? (Theoretical speaking)

Just out of curiosity.

I have WinXP installed and under my network properties I also have

Qos-Packed manager along with TCP/IP etc.

Does it do the same thing as cFos?

No. What that does is prepare your connections for a higher level program to take advantage of QoS. It´s like a wraper assigning packets different priorities. You still need an application to read that information and act accordingly. And even then it would only make sense for internal LAN. Typically corporate environements with heavy LAN traffic.

I still have to cap the upstream when downloading on uTorrent to get the maximum download, even when using cFos, but it works more efficiently with cFos than without. for me, 73.5% of my upload is the golden value :lol:

When I'm seeding however, I have it set to uncap completely. I did notice that cFos's upload/download meters include TCP overhead, since they show higher amounts than uTorrent does.

I still have to cap the upstream when downloading on uTorrent to get the maximum download, even when using cFos, but it works more efficiently with cFos than without.

This is odd but I would think possible on extremely assimetric lines. I've heard an ISP upgrade the lines to 24MBit downstream :shock:. And they never mention the upstream so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't change it at all and it remained in the low hundreds of kbps. With such a difference it's possible to choke your upstream just because you're using your downstream to it's fullest (the faster you download, the faster you have to send ACK packets).

This could also have to do with a badly configured RWIN value in your TCP settings. The smaller the RWIN value the more ACK packets you generate.

And about the USB thing, it is availabe now but wasn't last year.

Too big is much less of a problem than too low. But it is on the high side, yes. Do you get what appears as a momentary freeze when you browse the internet? If not don't worry about it.

You could also try something else like NetLimiter. It does the same as cFos and doesn't need "training". Very small app, prioritizes ACK packets, does bandwidth shaping and even has some other insteresting features. It graphs internet traffic like DU Meter does and keeps a log of how much you downloaded/uploaded by application. Then you can review by year, month, day or hour how much you've actually used with each. That's how I evaluate bittorrent's performance, for example.

cFos actually set my RWIN to 400000 :lol:

It seems like it's TOO high really...

I get 560kb/s down, and 53 up. I had the RWIN set to... somewhere in the range of like 75000 before I think, with window scaling on.

I dont want to use speed apps, but changing that setting manually that i would like to do.. Do u know where it is, and if u know other speed settings please let me know!

TIA

:)

Can someone give me a word of advice. I've just installed cfosspeed and done the recommended calibration. I've uncapped my upload in UT (from 24KB/s) and now my upload is erratic as hell, swinging from 32 to 15 (whereas it was stable at 24). Does this mean cfos isn't doing what it should be doing?

Can someone give me a word of advice. I've just installed cfosspeed and done the recommended calibration. I've uncapped my upload in UT (from 24KB/s) and now my upload is erratic as hell, swinging from 32 to 15 (whereas it was stable at 24). Does this mean cfos isn't doing what it should be doing?

Yes, I have the same problem when you uncap the upload. i think it might be the way the actual upload cap for the internet connection works. I've measured the speeds on netlimiter and its quite erratic as well, it seems to average out though.

i tried cfosspeed as suggested in this thread, and uncapped my upload speed, but my download speed seems to suffer in both utorrent and webpages seem to load slower. I have IE prioritized high and utorrent low and traffic shaping enabled..

High priority may be assigned to games, interactive programs (with the exception of Internet browsers, which are already covered by the built-in HTTP-expressions), remote software and voice-over-IP applications.

Ive just got Utorrent as very low priority and deleted everything else from all the menus in prioritys.

I have to say tho, that if I do leave upload uncapped, it buggers up my downloads and browsing, but if I cap it at about 20k its fine.

:rolleyes:

Archived