Better settings

man_uva

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blacklion

» Very low priority ought to be assigned to exchange and filesharing programs, which will have them run at maximum speed as long as no other data is being sent.

I just set it up as it said.

But the uncapping thing does not work for me.

For the calibration side of things, I downloaded the latest ATI driver

and for uploading I just seeded a torrent at max uncapped.

But I cant get it to be in charge, I have to cap Utorrent or Downloads and browsing goto pot.

:rolleyes:

Blacklion
» Very low priority ought to be assigned to exchange and filesharing programs, which will have them run at maximum speed as long as no other data is being sent.

I just set it up as it said.

But the uncapping thing does not work for me.

For the calibration side of things, I downloaded the latest ATI driver

and for uploading I just seeded a torrent at max uncapped.

But I cant get it to be in charge, I have to cap Utorrent or Downloads and browsing goto pot.

:rolleyes:

I hear ya, it has always worked like a charm for me.

I've calibrated, priortised, it pings but uncapping gives me very erratic upload speed and totally kills my d/load speed (those "acks" not getting out). Having said that, web browsing does seem a bit quicker with it running so that's a bonus but, obviously, maxing my up speed is the main consideration.

i had your symptoms as long as my firewall and protowall blocked the pings to cfos.de. Its how cfos is working, it measures the ping time and shapes the packets after it. Post your problem in their forum they will ask you to send the trace.txt.

Try tracert to cfos.de

also you try to open the cfos console and type spd set txspeed

you will get a number that should be according to your max down speed

so for me its 128000 for a 1Mbit connection (128Kb) if its too high you can set it by spd set txspeed 128000 to your speed.

All this you can also find in their support pages.

Thanx for the reply.

I can ping to cfos.de. My pd set txspeed showed as 31199 on a 2Mb line so I have set this to 256000 (assuming I am twice as fast as you). I'll look into how I set my upload speed (I did do the calibrations) as when I uncap my upload the thing still goes crazy.

I posted to their forum yesterday evening so will wait for a reply. Thanx again.

drpiety

Thanks for the advice, I will have a play this afternoon.

As you said I will need to sort out PC Cillin and Protowall to let it set itself up properly.

I just did a quick check in the console for the speed setting and it says

Im on a 1mb line ?

Another question, I have installed this twice now, first time I did it with the connection connected, next time I disabled it.

I did this because when I rebooted the first time I had Net 0 and Net 1 and kept on getting confused as to which one to play with the settungs.

I tried installing it the second time with the connection disabled to see if it makes a difference, It didnt, I still have Net1 and Net0 in the settings side, is it just me.

I only have one network connection ?

8)

Net0 is most likely just an empty window, since cFos supports displaying two adapters with its stats window. On another note, cFos works to some extent if your upload is uncapped when downloading, but you'll still need to cap it for maximum download. Turn off shaping and your download will fall down significantly more while uncapped, so you can see it does work. Just set uTorrent to uncap itself when the downloading finishes, the alternate seeding rate.

It depends on your ISP's policies. For mine, I have no caps or shaping or anything whatsoever. You might wanna check your ISP's web page or call them up to find out if they do any of that garbage. If they do nothing of the sort, then you should have no problems seeding 24/7 at full speed (I have for over a month, and it's even better with cFos now, no slowdowns whatsoever!)

A question for those who say cfosspeed is working for them. If you run at maxed speed with utorrent and utorrent is set to verly low priority in cfosspeed, what happens if you start a fast download for example a testdownload from your ISPs homepage.

Normally the utorrent speed should drop to "0" so the browser can DL with max speed. This is not happening for me. Just have to know if i have to tweak it some more.

Normally the utorrent speed should drop to "0" so the browser can DL with max speed. This is not happening for me. Just have to know if i have to tweak it some more.

I would have thought the download and Utorrent would fight over the download speed.

I thought CfosSpeed focused on the upload speed more than anything else.

I would have thought the download and Utorrent would fight over the download speed.

I thought CfosSpeed focused on the upload speed more than anything else.

You are misunderstandaing what CfosSpeed does. It does not 'concentrate' on uploads or downloads in particuar...what is does is priortize acknowledgemt packets sent to you so your network traffic stays smooth and efficient. The key phrase here is traffic shaping. It does not 'increase' your internet speed/connection, whatever they could do in order to enable that would probably be illegal, what it does is allow you, (if properly configured) to maximize the bandwidth that you now have. What that means is, whichever program that you used that had priority would get the nod on a download first. Now I have stated before that cFos themselves recommend that filesharing programs should get the lowest priority and that is how I use it. Their explanation of how their software works can be found here.

Hi

I dont think Im misunderstanding it, and never thought it would give me better speed settings.

But your comment does not enlighten me really, its put me back in the same boat, for example...

What that means is, whichever program that you used that had priority would get the nod on a download first.

So since the HTTP side is built in, and Utorrent is set to very low, how do they fight it out who gets what ?

And do you set Utorrent to 80%, and if you do, does this not go against the point of it anyway ? and if you dont does Utorrent slow down when browsing and allis well ?

Thanks for any info

8)

uTorrent is NOT in the list. You must add uTorrent.exe as Lower in the priority list, for it to work properly. HTTP gets high priority and would take as much bandwidth as it requires from uTorrent if it's set up to Lower.

Remember, for initial calibration you must clear calibration data, then download at full speed for 5-10 seconds, then upload for 30-60 seconds at full speed.

I only do when I'm downloading, since it works when uncapped while downloading but not perfectly. Even so, with it capped I find my internet is still much more responsive than without cFos, and it lets me send files and whatnot without having to pause uTorrent. WHen I'm seeding (which is quite often), I can uncap it and not have it affect me at all.

Archived