port forwardin doesnt work

bgmnt

i jus installed uTorrent 1.5 [build 437] and when i start it it shows a menu [i think its called the speed guide] where i have to select my speed etc. everything's fine but when i click on the port forwarding test button it gives me an error. it says the port number 32459 isnt open. i m not sure why this happens and i didnt try anything cuz i thought it better to ask first. i think i shud try changing the port number or something....anyways, i tried googling it and stuff but i cudnt get anything that wud be of my use. my system runs Windows XP Professional, i have a 256K DSL connection, and i use a Siemens Speedstream 6520 wireless router + DSL modem + network hub [provided by my ISP]. cud someone gimme a solution to this? plus, some speed tips for downloading and uploading [i think its called leeching and seeding] wud be greatly appreciated.

thanks

P.S. although i am very experienced at computers, i only have basic knowledge of torrents, so plz make it a bit easier to understand.

problem: the software my router uses is a bit diff, maybe cuz mine's siemens and the one used is bell. i tried a lot of things but i cudnt get it to work. secondly, portforward.com's guide says i'll need a static IP, so i tried following the 'setting up a static ip' guide. the problem here is that both my dns server names are same, so it gives me an error sayin that they need to be different. my ISP requested me to not use a static IP. reasons were many, but there's no time to describe them now.

any other ideas? i dont wanna use other clients, so plz hlp me here.

thanks

The static IP would just be for your PC to 6520 connection (LAN), not your Internet connection (WAN). I do not know why your ISP would advise against this, it is a basic requirement for port forwarding to work, your router has to know where it is supposed to forward the port(s). But I do not use a router myself so am not in a position to advise you further, sorry.

yes, watever u said struck me earlier, but i wasnt in a good position to do anything myself, so i posted. so do u mean that port forwardin is necessary for utorrent?

i hope i dont have to use something else. anyone else with solutions plz help me.

thanks

Port forwarding is necessary for any BitTorrent application. You should switch your ports, as 32459 has been known to be blocked by some ISPs. Leave the alternative DNS server blank if it's the same as the primary. And your ISP requested that you not use a static WAN IP, not LAN IP. They can't and don't know about anything that's going on behind the modem/router.

ok i'll try again and let u know wat happens.

if i dont use port 32459, which one shud i use? for this question i did have a solution, that is to use the 'random port' feature in utorrent's preferences, but i m not sure. also, for knowledge's sake, cud u tell me wat is the use of the feature called 'randomise port each time utorrent starts'?

thanks

i have no firewall enabled on the router, i dont have windows firewall, and there is no other firewall installed on my sys. this shud make all the ports 'loose' rite?

and i finally forwarded the ports on my router. i used port 45682 [a pal told me it was best for utorrent] and forwarded it on both TCP and UDP. it was all fine until i tried the speed guide again. but when i checked if it was forwarded correctly it said 'Error: Port 45682 isnt open'. i tried again and again but it was no use; the error just kept on repeating. i didnt try any other ports yet, and i have successfully set up a static ip. i am not sure why this error still occurs, maybe i have to use any 1 from TCP and UDP and not both......dunno, so i need help again. maybe its the UPnP option [unticked rite now]. i've literally gone thru almost all of portforward.com, so i think sumthin else's wrong. and wats it about ports 6881-6889? they're related to torrent clients but i dont know why and how; everyone who uses torrents is talkin bout em....

thanks

Etisalat of the UAE. its the only ISP here. well, tell u what, i jus tried it and downloading and uploading are working smooth but if i still check the error appears [port not open]. but everything's working.....its quite baffling. i'll give u details later cuz i dont have time now so plz keep checkin this thread.

thanks

Port not being open simply means µTorrent can't receive incoming connections -- you can still make outgoing connections. Even though that's the case, there are still problems with being firewalled, so I wouldn't put port forwarding off just because you can still transfer.

PART 1

ok, i've done a lot of work and reading and God knows what, and heres wat i've come up with:

i've fully tested and tried all the ports between 10000 and 65535, including 32459, and wat i have come up with is this-i literally went thru all the ports, and not a single one worked. not a single one. they all showed errors. downloading and uploading worked on all except a few ports where it was too slow [dont remember which ports-shud've written them down]. so rite now, i m living with port 45682. but i do have a question-when i was forwarding the port on my router it asked me TCP and UDP. now i was confused here, so i first selected TCP and repeated it a second time, this time selecting UDP. did i do anything wrong here...i mean is it okay to do it this way?

PART 2

the UPnP option is currently unchecked, but i still wanna know wat its for and whether i shud leave it unchecked or checked.

PART 3

i have seen people having insane download speeds, like 600k etc, sometimes even 3 or 4Mb. is it possible to get such speeds on my 256k connection whose download speed, after calculation, comes down to a mere 32k? or is it that those other folks already have high connection speeds which can handle such download speeds eg T1/T3 etc. if it is possible on any connection regardless of its speed, then how do i do it?

thanks

Don't bump, have some patience. -Firon

If you have a 256k connection, that means 256 kilobits/sec bandwidth -- and may only be your DOWNLOAD bandwidth! Your upload bandwidth may only be 128 kilobits/sec or even as low as 30 kilobits/sec!

With only 256 kilobits/sec download bandwidth, you'll be only able to get about 25-30 KB/sec download speeds. Any faster...and that means your connection is actually set by your ISP to run (maybe only slightly) faster than 256k.

@ Firon

LOL sorry ;)

@ switeck

my connection is a 256k one so by calculation my download shud be 32k. and i m usually gettin 31.7k which is good enough taking our lousy isp into consideration. guess i cant go insane on downloading LOL. problem is, the fastest connection our one and only isp provides is a 2mb dsl, but its jus too expensive [monthly fee is about US$95.4] which ofcourse is outrageous and ridiculous. believe it or not, i pay US$41 each month for this silly connection. and this is still much cheaper compared to the actual prices, when u cud easily lose US$250 before u cud say our ISP's name. nowadays its much much cheaper, and thats only cuz ppl cud jus not afford to pay such huge amounts each month [let alone other costs that r involved].........guess i am venting too much here, but the ppl here still feel that the prices shud be even lower, to which most of u will agree too.

thanks

P.S. can anyone answer part 1 and 2 also? please?

UPnP is at best a first or last resort when all other manual port forwarding methods FAIL. UPnP tries to automatically port forward...but often does not work and might cause additional problems even if it does work.

TCP is used by almost everything in BitTorrent/µTorrent, only DHT (in µTorrent) uses UDP...and many people disable that.

Chances are, there is another router or firewall blocking µTorrent as well...so you've only corrected one "locked door". What antivirus/antispyware software are you running?

Does your ISP give each person on it a true internet (WAN) ip...or do multiple people share the same internet (WAN) ip through an ISP-controlled router/gateway? (If you don't have a true internet (WAN) ip, there is NO way to get unfirewalled!)

so u mean that i did the rite thing by having UDP as well as TCP? hurrah if i am!

i use nod32 antivirus. i've heard it causes a few probs with azureus, but i never encountered anything, even when i had azureus. nod32 works like a breeze, doesnt have anything that nags, ur pc never slows down [infact, some users reported it speeding up their PCs!]; in short, it beats norton, mcafee [and the like] hands down. i do have an option somewhere to switch the way programs 'cooperate' wid nod32. utorrent is present in the list, and i have jus 2 choices: 'Higher Compatibility' & 'Higher Efficiency'. i am not sure which option is best for utorrent. any suggestions?

as for the ISP question u asked, i'll first have to check my network and then tell ya cuz firstly, i am not sure and secondly, i don have time rite now.

thanks

well, i cud try uninstalling it, but i wont be able to [for some domestic reasons], plus i jus noticed that the arrow that appears jus beside the dload changes colors like in other clients [LOL i hadnt noticed that yet]. so up to wat i've seen, the arrow is mostly blue, jus turned red some minutes ago and now is back to blue. i guess it also changes to yellow and green... cud some one xplain wat all of its colors mean? i mean every single color that this arrow changes to.

thanks

P.S. still cudnt get port forwardin and utorrent to work :(

Archived