error:the process cannot access the file

simko

Get

"error:the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

Im getting this very randomly with pretty much every bt client and tracker.

And i have no clue what so ever why it happens?

Does anyone have any ideas how to minimize this error or erradicate it totally.

Tried deleting utorrent settings and redownloaded the torrent with no luck.

It downloads for a few sec and then i get this error.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw the same happen when I had 2 instances of uTorrent running at the same time.

press CTRL ALT DEL and see how many uTorrent programs are running.

Kill all if there are more than one and then start it again.

when i got the problem i checked taskmanager to see if that was the problem, but it wasnt for me in this case.

Only a reboot of the omputer seems to get it work for a while.

even tried flushing the disc cache manually to see if that was the problem.

I saw the same happen when I had 2 instances of uTorrent running at the same time.

press CTRL ALT DEL and see how many uTorrent programs are running.

Kill all if there are more than one and then start it again.

I only have one utorrent.exe instance open and it's doing the same thing to me. I have to keep rechecking and restarting the torrent, very annoying. It didnt happen to a couple of smaller torrent but this 3.4 gig one I'm on now is throwing this error constantly. Any other ideas?

· I have google desktop installed but have excluded the download desitnations

· I have an anti-virus running, maybe this is a cause?

· Still happens on restarts

· Everything else seems normal

Look into your anti-virus/malware stuff. It's probably trying to scan the file while it's downloading and locking your file.

You can try the following to troubleshoot:

Create an exception for the folder your downloading

Disable any realtime scanning feature

Disable the anti-virus completely

Uninstall your anti-virus

Just remember to always scan your incoming files after they complete.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a workaround but still testing it.

If you stop the torrents that have that problem before you shutdown the client, and then run the client when you are ready, they will work when you manually start them.

Just be sure you stop them when exiting.

With the latest patch it seems my problem is gone.

I'll keep ya'll updated if not.

I'll be anxious to hear from you and everyone else, as this is something that just started happening when I updated to 1.2. Never had this with a previous version, and my computer is still the same in terms of configuration, except with respect to having installed Azureus last night (I have uninstalled it). I wonder if there is a relationship between the two? Are there any similarities between my situation and others having the problem? Thanks.

Ever since I installed Google Desktop I recieved that error, then I closed it and I don't recieve the error anymore. Make sure it is closed while uTorrent is open!

This has worked for me also. I was getting the error message every 10 minutes or so, but haven't had it since closing Google Desktop.

Is there a workaround in Google Desktop, or uTorrent? Would be a shame to lose either one of them.

Good thinking. I've stopped Google indexing my download folder and it's all working fine now.

It was working fine for me 2, then one of the torrents failed.

I'll try stop indexing the directory of the torrent folder as well, and see if theres still a problem.

Otherwise I'll just exit Google Desktop while Im using uTorrent.

Good thinking. I've stopped Google indexing my download folder and it's all working fine now.

It was working fine for me 2' date=' then one of the torrents failed.

I'll try stop indexing the directory of the torrent folder as well, and see if theres still a problem.

Otherwise I'll just exit Google Desktop while Im using uTorrent.[/quote']

Nope Still errors, I guess Ill just quit Google Desktop altogether while Im using uTorrent.

Your torrents aren't downloaded to a temp folder are they?

I always set the target to My Videos, and the torrent file itself is always on my desktop.

Unless uTorrent saves it in a Temp location before it transfers it across to My Videos, I dont think I have my files saved to a temp location.

Wow, this needs to be sticky or something, I searched all over yesterday trying to figure out this problem. Love utorrent, but really gotta have my Google Desktop too. Never had this problem with Azureus. Could it be because uTorrent seems to close the files every so often, possibly making google desktop think it's okay for it to open them? Seems like a simple fix: Don't close the files until you're finished writing them (or shutting down).

Archived