error:the process cannot access the file

simko

That would probably make memory consumption go way up (I'm just guessing). :( There has got to be a way though to let them play nice...I still think the Google developers should be informed about this. THey have bright minds at work there, they can figure something out. ;)

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been doing some more searching on these forums. Try setting diskio.flush_files to false. See if that makes the problem go away.

Appearantly, having that set to true will cause utorrent to close all open files every 60 seconds. If GDesktop tries to open one in that time period, bam. Seems like this might work.

Edit: Oh, and as far as I care, screw memory consumption. I don't have a gig of RAM for no reason. :)

Um, µTorrent doesn't try to close all open files. It tries to close its own internal handles on the files.

Ummm.. You say that as if those are different in any meaningful way. ;)

Meaning it lets go of the files from memory (or something to that effect).

You can have a file open in one of two modes. Read, or write. If you, as a program, try to open a file in write mode, and somebody else is reading it or writing it or whatever, then you get a big fat denied. Requesting write mode access to a file is basically requesting exclusive access.

Read mode is different. Any number of processes can open the file in read only mode at once.

Standard File IO stuff, that is.

I am having the same problem. That error message came up a few times with larger files. I have made the suggested changes including excluding Google deaktop from the folder used to d/l into (yes, I have it too and I think it may be the culprit cos other progs have been acting strangly since I installed it).

Will check back later when I have some results.

Just wanted to reply and say that setting diskio.flush_files to false has fixed this issue for me as well. Seems memory usage has increased from about 4MBs to 7MBs, but if thats what I have to sacrifice to have my µtorrent back, then thats what I shall sacrifice! FYI I am a Google Desktop user, so it seems that GD+µTorrent1.2 is definately the cause.

• 2 weeks later...

(Pub Account)

I just wanted to say that Google Desktop is NOT the cause of the problem, as Im running UTorrent on a freshly formatted system (no google desktop) and its popping up this problem every minute or so. Its very annoying having to reset them. I excluded the folder in my A/V and it still happened. It didnt happen in my last install so I have no clue what could make it happen now. The diskio.flush_files did not work for me.

try setting your destination to a secondary drive, such as D: or some other fixed disk if you have one. This fixed it for me, along of course setting Google desktop not to index that drive. If Google had nothing to do with it, maybe setting the destination to a secondary drive did it. Would be interesting to find out.

Also, go into the properties of the drive you save to, or the top-level folder you save to, and make sure indexing is turned off.

Oh, and enough of this ^alt-esc or ^alt-del banter... the common denominator is to use ^alt-del, no matter what version of windows you're using, because it will bring up what you want... In 2000 and XP, etc, you'll get a menu of a few options including task manager... so you have to pick task manager... big deal...

^alt-del is common to all versions of windows, except 3x... and you wouldn't be running µT on a 3x installation anyways.

^alt-del is all-inclusive... ^alt-esc isn't... so leave it alone...

If the worst thing you have to nit-pick about is having a short-cut that isn't available to everyone, not used, maybe you should get out of the house.

(you know who 'you' refers to)

(not you... you...)

-- Smoovious

I propose a simple solution to the problem is a modification to the uTorrent program, where it automatically tries to restart torrents that have been stopped due to an error.

Whenever I get this error (which I get alot, and I tried playing with Antivirus and Google Desktop with no luck), I simply press "start" on the torrent again, and it works like magic. Having the uTorrent program automatically do this, so I can walk away from my computer and do other things, would be wonderful.

Archived