Minor Bug Involving Boss Key

Alphasee

An odd situation, but a resolution, or current example:

With MSG Plus 3!, for msn messenger, there's a built-in bosskey function. When hidden it puts msn messenger into the system tray appearing to be a different icon/application. Double-clicking msn messenger executable again either does nothing, or if you have polygamy enabled, it opens up a new instance.

Automatic multiple instances can't be done, as µTorrent can't use the same ports twice unless you configure the second instance separately, which means you'd have a second executable anyway, which would mean there's no threat to your privacy or whatever in the first place.

As for the masquerading... I guess that could be done, but you'd *still* get people shouting "bug" for the same reason as above.

Once again.

The issue is, you're obviously trying to "hide" utorrent, and therefore, use a key sequence. It could be because of what you're downloading, or a number of things.

A new instance should open utorrent with a new port configuration - forced. In either case, double-clicking the executable SHOULD NOT bring it out of boss mode.

I know what the issue is, but you're not understanding me. µTorrent reads all the *.dat files and *.torrent files, be it in %appdata%\uTorrent, or in the same folder as the directory. If you want to force a new instance based on the same configuration, albeit with a different port number (and presumably a different boss key), µTorrent's still going to read those *.dat files, and the torrents in the directory. If you don't want µTorrent to read them, the only way is to store a separate configuration beforehand. Otherwise, if µTorrent opens the second instance with a changed port number and a cleared torrent list, the person who opened the second instance and didn't know about the first will cry to us.

There's no perfect way to do this. Alternative method? Create a second instance for your own stuff, and make it so that the only way to run the first instance of µTorrent is through a conveniently placed shortcut with the /RECOVER option (and naturally, don't allow the other part{y|ies} to find where either executable is located, only allow access to the shortcuts). Additionally, you're going to have to make sure that only the first instance (the public one) is associated with .torrent files.

Which brings me to another point... if you have µTorrent open multiple instances each time the executable is run, then what about each time you double-click a .torrent file? Does it open in the first instance (public), second instance (private), or just another new instance? Since you're only using one executable to create all the instances, they're all associated with .torrent files, so how does µTorrent go about deciding which instance it opens the .torrent file in?

Archived