uTorrent Poor Performance compared to Azureus ?

Angus

Okay - let me start off by saying I am a fan of the simplicity of this product and its low resource requirements, but I just cant get it to keep up with anything like the performance of Azureus which I would consider bloatware.

I know there have been a lot of these same kinds of threads, yes i have searched the forum and have read them, and yes I think the advice in them is incorrect.

I have downloaded the linux distros and utorrent does give excellent speeds. Azureus gives the same excellent speeds.

However in a more normal situation, with utorrent I never seem to be able to get decent speeds compared to Azureus. Last night I wanted the latest version of Threshold. I left utorrent running for maybe 20 mins and it never got over 3k download speed. I opened up Azureus to try and instantly it hit 60k-100k and stayed there until the download was complete.

I tried with utorrent again this morning to try and work out what was going on, and again its SOOOOO slow, seemingly unable to connect to more than a few peers ?

In this case there are now 456 seeds and 989 peers yet I can only connect to 10 and 5 ???

Am I doing something wrong or is it time to switch back to Azureus ?

Screenshot at: http://www.webdork.com/images/utorrent.jpg

Screenshot at: http://www.webdork.com/images/utorrent_settings1.jpg

Screenshot at: http://www.webdork.com/images/utorrent_settings2.jpg

Global maximum number of connections = 100

This looks kinda low. I have mine set at 1000.

You are showing problems connecting to the tracker so you might want to look into that or wait until it's online to make a better judgement.

Last night I had it set to around 1000 as well.

Screenshots are from this morning after I put it back to more conservative settings.

As for the tracker being offline, I checked that too when it was running last night and while Azureus connects immediately and starts to download, utorrent connects, but just takes ages to get any peers and then just bottlenecks itself speed wise.

Ok, if we rule out the settings (and you've got it right as far as I can see), it could be something in uTorrents algorithm. There are a lot of posts which report experiences similar to yours. It doesn't appear every time and some have not noticed this at all. So it's not a bug. There's probably just a better and smarter way of coding things. If this is the case (and I think it is), you'll just have to be patient and wait while the code is being optimized. The net.low_cpu and bt.slow_connect were already an attempt to address that.

I do hope the dev guys continue to look into smarter ways of working within the bittorrent protocol.

Something I dont understand is that if there are 100+ peers available why does it only connect to 2 or 3 ?

It would be great if it would connect to as many as possible and keep the ones where the upload rate was high and delist the ones where it was low ?

Basically keep searching for the optimal path ...

what we all have to remember is this client is still maturing, fast, but still maturing. If I had to make one comparison between this client and the other two that are SO popular (yes I still use them) is that the Comet is very aggresive connecting to seeds and AZ is aggressive connecting to anybody LOL and uTorrent does seem to be less active in seeking out peers, that could just be me but that is my observation, I noticed how aggresive the Comet was connecting to seeds the first time i used it. Now that can work against you if you live by ratios and you have a high DL in comparison to UL. (I Do). My way around that is keeping upload slots per torrent at 10 and max connections per torrent at 100 and dont run more than a few torrents at a time (like 3). My max connections is at 300 so uT dosent have to figure out where all these connections are going, a nice round number. And it seems to respond to those settings well. Im using 1.1.7.2 and this one is the most responsive yet as far as going out and getting ahold of peers. At this stage I think performance is good. Remember this is still a young client. David slew Goliath at 15 but he didnt take the throne until he was 30.

Another thing to check the speed is see the estimated time u are gonna get the file. I was gonna get a 1.3GB file in 1hr 30 min. The fastest using Azureus was 2hr 30 min-3hr 30 min.

And some p2p clients have a built in work around for the Event 4226 in Windows with SP2. I dont know if uTorrent does. Check that too.

Archived