Is there way to do selective uploading for individual peers?

jroc

First, I wanna say a big THANK U to the creaters of this client!!! Im going cold turkey from Azureus. As a former Azureus user, this client is like night n day as far as memory usage. Plus I was getting a 1.3GB file in like 1hr & 30 min. The fastest I ever got a file that big using Azureus was 2hr & 30 min or 3hr & 30 min. So speed improvements are seen too.

(This is on a 10 Mbps down/800k up connection) Also I found out my ISP is blocking my uploading!! :evil: uTorrent has made me able to contribute again.

Now to my question: how do I selectively upload to peers? I have a few thats connected to me stuck at 99% and uTorrent is giving priority to those connected to me at 0%-20%. Its cool cuz that means everyone connected to me will get the file. But Im trying to help get more seeders out there by finishing those stuck at 99%. Of all the things wrong with Azureus, that feature was one of its pluses. (To block, not ban, uploading and give priority to other peers)

Any help is greately appreciated. And again, a big THANK U for making uTorrent my new #1!!!

i often seed and want to give priority upload to my friends who is downloading the same thing. so this feature would be greatly appreciated here too.
BitTorrent isn't the best solution if you want to get a file to only one person. Also, selectively excluding others... isn't that somewhat abusing the network (even if you're using it to upload to someone)?

Yea. I hate seeing 3-5 ppl connected to me stuck at 99%. I just wanna be able to get them the file so they can seed. In some clients, they had a block and a kick n ban feature. The block was on/off, the ban was permanent. There were many times I was uploading to 4 ppl, 2 were at 85% 2 were at 25-35%. So I would block the lower 2 and get the higher 2 the file faster.

I just thought about it. I do use PeerGuardian. I could try the selective uploading with that. Cuz if any extra features use more memory than it does now, we dont need it.

I just thought about it. I do use PeerGuardian. I could try the selective uploading with that. Cuz if any extra features use more memory than it does now, we dont need it.

Since µtorrent already supports banning via filter list it will not take much more resourses, i think.

So.....creating seeders faster is a lesser benefit? Thats like saying downloading faster so I can hurry up and seed is a lesser benefit. If that was the case, there would never be official FAQ on how to speed up downloads. I just wanted to know was it a way to do it without using another app.

I thought it would help the swarm to create more seeders faster. Its also useful for ppl that upload torrents on the regular. I know that when I upload a torrent to a site, the more seeders I get, the faster I can go and upload another torrent. Cuz I can stop seeding that file and go create another one.

There is one thing I need to consider: How do I know if that person(s) will seed once he/they gets the file? I guess its good for torrents on a private site that have rules on hit n runners.

It would create some seeders faster, But thats not the case. You're uploading to certain people first. Thats not really fair against the entire swarm and other people you're downloading from.

"There is one thing I need to consider: How do I know if that person(s) will seed once he/they gets the file? I guess its good for torrents on a private site that have rules on hit n runners."

Exactly, You wont, hence those fresh quick 'seeders' are not guarnteed to do any good at all.

It would create some seeders faster, But thats not the case. You're uploading to certain people first. .

First..... I shoulda made that a point. Im still gonna seed til I'm down to 0 peers (unless Im creating a torrent to be uploaded). So is it fair that ppl connected to me stuck at 85% have to wait while uTorrent decides to upload to those at 0-30% first? For real, uTorrent is uploading to certain ppl first, too. (ppl with lower %'s done)

**This is MY experience only, this might not be happening to other uTorrent users**

And about my last paragraph "how will I now if they will seed?". When u belong to sites that make it a requirement for good ratios, seeding, hit n running is not allowed. I shouldnt have even made that statement. :oops:

Dont more seeders increase the overall speed of the torrent? Thereby helping the swarm? Also doesnt it ensure that everyone can get the whole file, and not have to ask for reseeds/requests?

So....helping get more seeders out faster is NOT good? For the sawrm? Wouldnt it look good to see ur file ETA go from 2hr to 1hr in a matter of minutes?

So....helping the swarm overall get the file faster is NOT good?

I just dont get it. I've had folks actually say TY for helping them get the file faster. I create 4 seeders faster, then I go contribute elsewhere (especially where seeders are needed) But again, this is useful only on private torrent sites, not sites like ***Hunt, Torrent******, etc.

**Im only saying 4 seeders faster as an example. Thats not a cutoff point for me. I like to stay till no peers are left**

Also, this is NOT what I had in mind.....

i often seed and want to give priority upload to my friends who is downloading the same thing. so this feature would be greatly appreciated here too.

lol

You cant make the feature to ONLY work on private trackers, hence allowing people to help other people hit and run on public trackers..

I haven't said YOU want to abuse this feature, and i haven't said it doesnt have its merits. Im just saying there's a better chance it will be misused then it will be used for goood. The bt protocol should take care of people missing parts even if selective uploading isnt done.

Archived