utorrent v1.6 banned?

twtcad

Recently v1.6 has been banned on a private site (tracker):

"Aug 28 2006, 02:47 PM Post #1

Due to the large number of members who are currently using Azureus 2.5.0.0 and µTorrent 1.6 and having there accounts improperly update due to the announce times with these clients we have no choice but to ban both of these clients. This is for the members benefits as we are sure they dont want to lose their upload ratio on a torrent due to problems with their client."

Is this a valid complaint and has the peeps at utorrent been made aware of this yet? At the moment of the several private sites I belong to this is the only one who has banned utorrent and I haven't had any issues with ratio's yet. But at the moment I am forced to downgrade to v1.5 because right now I'm banned on their tracker. Oh my ratio is 2.583 if it matters. If this is not an issue with utorrent then how can we fix it? And if this is an issue with utorrent can we get it fixed soon.....please? I've been using utorrent since it rolled out and will only use utorrent so any help in this matter will be appreciated. Thank You!

Also another that was posted.....

"The problem we are having is that clients are announcing after the tracker updates which means any stats they had during that time gets lost, example, upload 100Mb before client announces, tracker updates, member vanishes from seeder/leecher list and ratio is lost. Now we dont want members losing upload ratio especially as the current active userbase is still a tad low so we need to take whatever measures we can to ensure everyones stats stay correct."

Could this also be because of an error in their code? Thank You!

They probably did a bad job with tracker statistics updating. I don't know very well the internals of how normal "good" trackers work, but I'd imagine they don't update only the statistics of users currently connected to the swarm at the time of update, but based on some message queue (which gets flushed periodically, if they don't update instantly) of updates sent to them, which would (of course) include data sent by users who stopped the torrent (exited the swarm). From what I'm understanding, they don't appear to be counting users to exit the swarm before their next update (which is the only explanation I can see for ratio being lost), and that's definitely their (stupid) problem.

• 2 months later...

they are losing their stats because they get announcing too fast error with the new anti-hammering script thet get a red light until the announcing stays within the correct time [not a spelling error in the script] no one seems to be taking this one seriously these messages or similar can be found on a few sites[Announcing too fast!

With the implementation of the anti-hammer logic, a bug has popped up in uTorrent (and possibly other clients). In very active torrents, uTorrent will sometimes reannounce in only 3 minutes, not the 30-60 minutes as prescribed by the tracker. The result is that uTorrent will get an "Announcing too fast!" error and set its retry counter to 20 minutes. Any time you announce before the timeout built into the tracker you'll get this error.

After the 20 minute timeout a successful announce should be possible. The result is that uTorrent will announce 23 minutes after the last announce while exhibiting this bug.

You will not lose any credits. Simply follow the instructions in the error message: "Just wait and this will resolve itself. No action necessary"

-- Admin]

Archived