Utorrent Slowing Down Entire Internet

Dead-Jester

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you tried removing the router and directly connecting the computer to the modem?

You will probably need some reconfiguring on the computer's network settings and a good software firewall...to make that work safely. But it should rule out the router as the source/cause of your problems, assuming you don't change anything else.

I have read a lot about this mess. I can summarise in this way:

-there is not about SP1 or SP2

-there is not about router (I tried my connection without router);

-the settings pointed by Ultima doesn't work;

-most people reporting this say they have not experienced slowdons before (whatever "before" means)

-it could go hand in hand with the disk overload issue but not necesarilly;

In fact I will jump directly to the conclusion: it seems developers should look into the new version of utorrent ( no bitcomet and not even get right pro with torrent ability gave me these slowdowns but I hate those programs). There is something pretty rotten inhere.

This is my first post. I had to register to address this problem. I have seen this problem crop up throughout the forum. I have the same issues with web connection speed when using utorrent 1.6. I tried with sp1 and sp2, also tried all the fixes from Ultima. Nothing works except to shut down utorrent. The torrents work fine with upwards of 146 kbps down. Right now, I have only 4.7 kbps down and 19 kbps up. Pages load like 56k with alot of server not found timeouts. I'm using a netgear rp114 router. Dslreports without utorrent are: 4512/352 kbps. Dslreports with utorrent are: 253/22 kbps and that is only after repeated disconnects and server fails. Also, it seems that it slows my whole network down. I get the web slow down on my laptop whenever I have utorrent running on the main computer. The laptop doesn't even have utorrent installed. From reading the forum this seems to be a specific issue with 1.6 and did not happen in earlier versions. It also seems to be router non-specific, since Vad tried it without his router and it still did it. I also seem to remember someone said that utorrent was opening a whole bunch of ports (not just the one in the speed guide). Could utorrent be flooding the connection with a whole bunch of useless ports? I have no idea and am not skilled enough to delve into that. (I'll be able to tackle that after the Cisco networking course I am taking) I hope this helps. Until then, I will have to turn off utorrent for all web browsing and then turn it back on to get my torrents ;-( Hope this helps clarify some of the issues. Thanks.

Leave the other 2 computers connected to the router...just test the one connected to the internet by itself.

leismac,

µTorrent should only have ONE incomming port. If you see more, you probably have a trojan or some crazy proxy forwarding policies. OUTGOING ports should be between 1000-5000...and connecting to OTHER people's BitTorrent listening port (their incoming port).

Ok, well here are screen captures of all my settings. If anyone sees anything that could be causing my problem, please let me know. There are three pics for the Advanced section, but that's to show everything in the list. I'm sorry if these take a while to load on some slow connections. I made them as small as I could without losing picture integrity.

general.jpg

downloads.jpg

connection.jpg

bittorrent.jpg

queueing.jpg

scheduler.jpg

other.jpg

advanced1.jpg

advanced2.jpg

advanced3.jpg

diskcache.jpg

userinterface.jpg

Quote kurahashi

Explain me then, how did you manage to run speed guide and have upload capped at 50kB/s?

When I run the speed test, I don't have Utorrent open. Also, I dont think the speed test has anything to do with the Utorrent application, it just tests the speed of your connection by sending/receiving files via Internet Explorer.

No they`re not. Set upload to 10 kbs or something and try then. But I think it won`t help. At least not in my case. I have 8 mbs / 1 mbs connection and I set utorrent upload limit to 40 kbs (my upload max. is 1000 / 8 = 125 kbs) and it still slows down my internet. Another thing that I realized is that internet doesn`t slow down immediately when I start uTorrent but after 5 - 10 minutes (upload reaches 40 kbs after one minute..).

Dead-Jester,

They are and are not related.

When you try to visit a website, you have to request the website/webpage by UPLOADING to them to request it...which you bloody well can't do while trying to upload at 50 KB/sec when you only have 40 KB/sec max upload speed!

When you're downloading from someone, you have to continue requesting additional pieces of the download as well as tell the download source what speed you're capable of atm...by sending the download source small packets via your upload...which you bloody well can't do if your upload is thoroughly overloaded.

In the rare instance your download side is maxed out, similar results occur:

your upload speed drops off as you fail to receive additional requests from those downloading from you because their packets get crowded out by other incoming packets.

On the other hand, if you ALSO have a half-duplex connection then download speed will drop like a brick LONG before max upload speed is reached...or even HALF max upload speed is reached!

Chavanel,

The fact you don't have a near-grinding-halt surfing the internet the moment your upload in µTorrent reaches 40 KB/sec shows that it's not your upload SPEED alone that's killing your connection.

In your case, it's an overload of a different kind: probably too many connections or worse, connection ATTEMPTS at once.

You need to reduce max connections and also reduce µTorrent's half-open connection max and possibly µTorrent's connect speed (bt.connect_speed) as well.

Did you use Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and set it to the closest setting below your UPLOAD speed?

...if not, then connections are probably set WAY too high.

To both of you,

If you have a Belkin or D-Link router, or any kind of wireless router (and using the wireless), or a USB modem...then you need to reduce your Global connections to 60-100 and connections per torrent to something below that, unless you only run 1 torrent at a time.

I presume you've both gotten your router/s port forwarded ok and you have the green light in µTorrent?

Results are a LOT better with the green light.

Ok, well changing the upload KB/s to 10 and the global connections to 50 seems to have helped. I have been running UTorrent for about 10 mins now and have noticed a dramatic decrease in slowness, or a dramatic increase in speed, however you want to look at it. I have even upped my Max Number Of Active Torrents and my Max Number Of Downloads both to 5 and my speed is still very good. Thanks Switeck... I knew there had to be some simple fix for this :)

Archived