Utorrent Slowing Down Entire Internet

Dead-Jester

...and you went from a too-good-for-his-own-sake seeder to a near-leecher with those settings. :(

With 5 torrents going at once, with 4 upload slots each, and only allowing 10 KB/sec total upload speed...that means each person you're uploading to at any given moment can hope for an average download speed from you of only 0.5 KB/sec at BEST! That's really terrible.

Try the xx/256k Speed Guide (CTRL+G) settings...that's below your upload max of 360 kilobits/sec by 100, so there SHOULDN'T be any slowdowns for web surfing unless your line is either half-duplex and/or very unstable.

Even the xx/384k setting might not cause noticeable lag while not downloading. You could back its upload speed down from 35 to 30, reduce its max connections and connection per torrent in half, and reduce the upload slots to 3 (check the use more if <90% speed box though) -- and you should get good results.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Switeck:

I have a level one fbr-1402tx router (wire, not less :) ). I connected my modem directly to PC and the problem was still there. I got gren light just a few times for a few seconds. I portforwarded as described on portforward.com. I reduced bt.connect speed from 20 to 5, as well as max.half_open connections to 4. I set my speed in speed guide to xxx/1MB, which is eactly my upload speed. It set upload speed to 92 kbs but I reduced it to 40. It still doesn`t work. I think I`ve done everything I found here. I hope you still have some ideas. I`m really upset because I have a geat connection and I can`t achieve it`s speed.

Hi,

what a relief. I finally found a forum with people facing the exact frustrating expirience. I can't count how many times i'v been told that my upload speed was probably too high; that if I upload 80k/s it will sure kill my connexion. Nonsense! With Azureus, I had to limit my upload to 5k/s, otherwise I can't browse to the Internet. 10k/s is already too high. I then decided to try utorrent. Not much better actually. Here's what happens with utorrent uploading at 10k/s:

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=3194ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=2570ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=1831ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=2310ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=2260ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=2119ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=3868ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=3312ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=3682ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=2036ms TTL=239

this is a ping to www.google.com. Normal average time is 32 ms. Here I get more than 2000!

None of the solutions presented here helped. I'm looking forward to it. Maybe I'll just try another client.

forgot to specify:

my router is linksys ....54g

utorrent is a total connexion-killer unless I'm downloading/uploading only 1 or 2 torrents simultanly.

Even if I set all the settings to the lowest (connexions, upload, download, slots, etc.), its impossible to use the internet while utorrent or azureus are on.

utilitaire - Firstly, do you have SP2 with the TCP patch? Secondly, which 54g do you have? V4 or V5? If you don't know how to find out, go to here and look it up (it's based on your serial number prefix) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G#Hardware_revisions . I have a WRT54GL and a WRT54GS V4, so I can tell you for sure that my internet works fine when I torrent. The routers can cark it a bit after a day full of torrenting, but that's easy to fix with a restart. I just haven't bothered trying to find a work-around.

Also, for Dead-Jester - Your maximum number of connections per torrent should be your global maximum number of connections divided by the number of active torrents. This should distribute the connections more evenly between the active torrents. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

kop48

my router is a v.3. I didn't try without my router(directly with the modem). But I think someone on this thread said It didn't had to do with the router.

Also, it sure has nothing to do with the global upload, since its less than 5ko. Nothing with the global connexions, since I tried with 10 connexions and less.

Just because it's not the router for someone else, doesn't mean it's not the router for you. :P

Are you running stock Linksys firmware?

Also, if Azureus is killing your download, it really sounds like an issue with your router - I've seen it happen (to me, and others) where utorrent just fills up the connection queue of the router. The problem is, the router's timeouts on half-open and open connections defaults to DAYS, not minutes. The usual fix before better firmwares came out was to set the timeouts to something more aggressive. However, since I've been running Thibor's HyperWRT, I haven't needed to do this startup script trick.

I'd suggest going over to a third-party firmware for your router - gives you more options and makes the router a LOT better.

utilitaire,

You probably need to disable DHT, UPnP, and set your halfopen connection max in µTorrent to 2-4.

You might also need to reduce bt.connect_speed to 4-10.

Nothing else makes sense as an explaination for that horrific problem.

If you're firewalled as well, kop48's explaination (that utorrent just fills up the connection queue of the router) makes sense. While firewalled, you're even LESS likely to connect to other ips in the torrent -- so those attempts fail and count against the connection queue in the router.

I'd suggest trying to connect without the router to rule the router out as the cause of your problems. You'll need a software firewall while you do...even WIN XP's firewall will suffice if you have nothing else. If things work without the router, you can only try getting a modified firmware or replacing the router with a different (hopefully better!) one.

Chavanel,

Your modem may be causing problems too. Try doing Google searches for others with problems with that brand of modem and/or ISP. Or your ISP may be doing some nasty throttling/shaping of BitTorrent traffic as well, and you might have a bandwidth/month limit to worry about as well. A couple GOOGLE searches might see if that's true. ...You might even have a bad line or a phone on the line with an improper or missing filter.

kop48,

It is ok for your global max connections to be less than the total of max connections per torrent times max active torrents. Connections won't be quite as evenly spread out between torrents that way, but they usually won't anyway. The goal is to avoid having 100's of connections at once, as many have pointed out (or found out the hard way)...MORE connections is often WORSE instead of better! Also, a torrent in seed mode can get by with far fewer connections than one that is downloading...as a seeding torrent only connects with peers but not other seeds anyway.

I have heard of specific modems not handling torrents, but I can't remember which ones.

Definitely try to get the router out of the way and see if that helps. I'd bet a lot of bucks that it IS the router - since I've had this problem myself.

Switeck - I understand the concept, I just meant there's not much point setting them higher as they're not going to allow for nice® balancing. If you have a global cap of 100 and you set each torrent to 25 with a limit of 4 torrents, no torrent will go above that and it's a lot easier to trace. However, I don't know the algorithm to give torrents connections when the max torrents * max number of connections per torrent > global max is.

kop48 and Switeck

Alright I will try without my router. However, my current modem is the speedstream 4200, witch is hitself a router. Hope this wont cause any problem in my tests. However, even with a different modem(with a different internet distributor) I faced the exact same problem.

That may solve the problem, but I'd be surprised since my brother is facing the exact same problem at his appartment with a different router (D-link 524 if I'm not wrong). Actually not exactly the same: he can allow a 30k/s global upload without killing the connection (although his global internet connexion is more around 80k/s).

«You probably need to disable DHT, UPnP, and set your halfopen connection max in µTorrent to 2-4.

You might also need to reduce bt.connect_speed to 4-10.»

I already tried all that. Even setting global maximum number of connection to 1 wont change anything. I still ping google with 3000 ms now. This is what I dont understand. Even if my router has some problem managing high trafic and high number of connections (with bittorrent), how come that doesn't change a thing to set the global maximum connection to 1 and global upload to a ridiculous number (15k/s).

«Are you running stock Linksys firmware?

Also, if Azureus is killing your download, it really sounds like an issue with your router - I've seen it happen (to me, and others) where utorrent just fills up the connection queue of the router. The problem is, the router's timeouts on half-open and open connections defaults to DAYS, not minutes. The usual fix before better firmwares came out was to set the timeouts to something more aggressive. However, since I've been running Thibor's HyperWRT, I haven't needed to do this startup script trick.

I'd suggest going over to a third-party firmware for your router - gives you more options and makes the router a LOT better.»

...I will try that also. Thank you

I just deconnected my router and plug my computer directly to the modem. I tried to ping google after restarting utorrent:

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=1595ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=2434ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=2538ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=2180ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=2493ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=3089ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=3004ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=3071ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=2455ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=2572ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=1454ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=2358ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=2463ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=1539ms TTL=240

However It will eventually become slower since my current download is 3k/s and my upload is 2k/s with utorrent. When all torrents will be active, this may become worse.

Here's what happen when a stop utorrent:

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=2317ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=1606ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=1648ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=1167ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=1067ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=770ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=744ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=466ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=498ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=326ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=260ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=106ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=104ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=178ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=240

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=240

to be fair, I'd say its not as bad as with my router. But as you can see, its still very bad.

utilitaire,

You need to discover EVERY difference between your brother's setup and yours.

Different ISPs, modems, networking cards, motherboard, cpu, ram, etc!

Every network-using program is suspect at this point, especially unusual programs that other people (here) are unlikely to have. Everything that loads on boot-up too -- try getting HijackThis and doing research on them using Google.

It is obvious something is horribly wrong with your setup -- though it may be your ISP simply hates you as a customer and does not consider bittorrent traffic to be a part of the internet they are obligated to support.

Lastly, please don't multi-post back-to-back. Instead edit your last post to add to it.

«You need to discover EVERY difference between your brother's setup and yours.»

The only difference is the router. One is Linksys, one is D-link. The router and the distributor. Its not likely a problem with my system, since this problem happens on every computer that uses bittorrent. Note that both network are facing this problem.

network #1 with D-link, distributor Sympatico

1 desktop computer with windows XP pro

2 laptop with windows XP pro wireless

network #2 with linksys, distributor Cogeco

1 desktop computer with windows XP pro

1 laptop with windows XP pro wireless

Like I said, no matter what computer uses bittorrent, it becomes slow for the entire network. As soon as I stop bittorrent, I becomes fast. However, I can download quite fast with the bittorrent client itself. More than 100k/s easily. I can get Azureus or Utorrent to work perfectly in download, or upload. The problem is the rest of the internet. When I'm not using bittorrent, my average download speed limit is around 650k/s, and my upload is around 80k/s.

«though it may be your ISP simply hates you as a customer and does not consider bittorrent traffic to be a part of the internet they are obligated to support»

Obvioustly not the case since we have two different distributor, and are two different clients. Also, bittorrent IS supported since I CAN get bittorrent to work.

(sorry for multi-post)

Ok: I just succeeded to speed up my global internet by doing 3 things:

-limiting the upload to 6k/s MAX

-limiting the torrent conexions to 3

-limiting the nomber of active torrents to less than 6

that way, my connection gets a lot better:

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=177ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=106ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=207ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=395ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=131ms TTL=239

Reply from 72.14.205.104: bytes=32 time=138ms TTL=239

but as you can see, I have to make a lot of compromises.

Is this happening on the desktop PC? Is the desktop PC wired? Does this happen when you upload with another program? Does this happen when you download? How well does your connection behave when you flood it? Can you post a tracert to google? Is the modem also a firewall? Can you turn off the gateway capability of your modem (i.e. just bridge it)?

-Is this happening on the desktop PC?

yes, on every computer a tried

-Is the desktop PC wired?

yes

-Does this happen when you upload with another program?

no

- Does this happen when you download?

it happen as soon as I start a bittorrent client with 3-4 torrents in it. Even if the torrents aren't downloading yet.

-How well does your connection behave when you flood it?

well I dont know if I understand the question. But when I download with IE on MSDN, adobe.com, I can download at 650k/s easily and the reste of the internet is not affected at all.

- Is the modem also a firewall?

the modem is also a router. But I forwarded the ports.

-Can you turn off the gateway capability of your modem (i.e. just bridge it)?

I dont think it is possible with the speedstream 4200.

- Does this happen when you download?

it happen as soon as I start a bittorrent client with 3-4 torrents in it. Even if the torrents aren't downloading yet.

What about 1 torrent? Go to the ubuntu.com/download site (I think that's right) and see if you can get a torrent that gets a lot of download connections.

-How well does your connection behave when you flood it?

well I dont know if I understand the question. But when I download with IE on MSDN, adobe.com, I can download at 650k/s easily and the reste of the internet is not affected at all.

Is 650 kb/s your top speed of your net, or is it a cap you've set? If I flood (i.e. max out) my internet connection, my browsing starts to get slower. This was explained before in that if you max out your download, and you have very little upload, there's a good chance you'll max that out too. The reason is that each downloaded packet needs to be ACKed by your computer.

- Is the modem also a firewall?

the modem is also a router. But I forwarded the ports.

If you forward ports, then it's a firewall - you need to forward ports THROUGH the firewall in order for them to get to your network properly. If you didn't have to do that, then your modem would simply be a bridge.

-Can you turn off the gateway capability of your modem (i.e. just bridge it)?

I dont think it is possible with the speedstream 4200.

«Is 650 kb/s your top speed of your net, or is it a cap you've set?»

I dont think I can get faster than 650k/s. However, I dont know what «cap you've set» means. How do you do that?

«If I flood (i.e. max out) my internet connection, my browsing starts to get slower. This was explained before in that if you max out your download, and you have very little upload, there's a good chance you'll max that out too. »

That's an interesting point, since my upload limit is very low (around 20k/s with my web site).

«The reason is that each downloaded packet needs to be ACKed by your computer.»

mmm ok so what can I do to verify that?

- I dont think I can get faster than 650k/s. However, I dont know what «cap you've set» means. How do you do that?

If you don't know what I mean, then you probably haven't set one. If you're downloading through IE or Firefox, then you'll probably be maxing out your connection anyway.

- That's an interesting point, since my upload limit is very low (around 20k/s with my web site).

- mmm ok so what can I do to verify that?

You can't verify that too easily without inspecting packets manually, but you'll notice speed spikes as ACK packets get choked. You can kind-of see this by getting netmeter (http://readerror.gmxhome.de/) and watching the graph. If you see constant speed, then a slow spike over and over again, then there's a good chance that your packets are getting choked (i.e. they can't get sent out). Let me know how that goes and we'll go from there...

Also, you say that pings start becoming slower - does your browsing also become really slow? I can't recall if you specified this or not... Check to see if you have any Quality of Service (QoS) stuff setup.

thank you I will check http://readerror.gmxhome.de/ right now

«Also, you say that pings start becoming slower - does your browsing also become really slow? I can't recall if you specified this or not... Check to see if you have any Quality of Service (QoS) stuff setup.»

yes browsing become slow also. Everything, even transfering files from one computer to another in my network.

By the way, I'm right now transfering a large file to a friend (not inside my network). Its using a lot of my upload capacity (18ko/s). However, I can ping google at 300 ms, witch is not as bad as with bittorrent (3000 ms).

Whoa.....

That's very interesting. Ok, I suggest:

* Make your modem the gateway.

* Upgrade your router's firmware to another of the third-party firmwares (HyperWRT, DD-WRT or Tomato).

* Switch your router's operating mode over from gateway to just Router and/or Switch.

* Plug your modem into one of the LAN ports rather than the WAN port.

* Start downloading something and then see if copying stuff across the network slows down.

* Try to turn off wireless for now too.

ok I just tried netmeter

without utorrent, my download average was 5k/s, and upload average 18k/s. Google ping was 300 ms (with my file transfert through my web site)

with utorrent, my download average was 40k/s, and upload reached 38k/s (but still average of 18k/s). Google ping average was 4000 ms.

:S

Archived