Utorrent Slowing Down Entire Internet

Dead-Jester

«That's very interesting. Ok, I suggest:

* Make your modem the gateway.

* Upgrade your router's firmware to another of the third-party firmwares (HyperWRT, DD-WRT or Tomato).»

I already tried without my router (plugging directly to the modem). So I think that proves that my router is not responsible.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, something is wrong here, because you say that your LAN is also affected - the bit that your router controls. So, either your machine gets bogged down simply by too many TCP connections, or your router is getting overloaded. Therefore, I suggest one more test too:

Start a torrent on one computer, then try to download between two computers who are not involved with the torrent over the router.

well I the LAN is clearly affected since my girlfriend (on her laptop) has a very slow connection when browsing the web when I'm using bittorrent on my desktop machine.

So yes: my router is overloaded (saturé?), but who's fault is it? my router? my bittorrent client? the settings ?

«No, I meant transfers ONLY over the LAN - i.e. copying files between computers. One problem at a time. »

I cannot test that, because I dont have 3 computer here. However, I 99% sure it would be slow. Cause I mean: if my girlfriend is unable to use the router in order to browse the web, how could she be able to use the router in order to do anything else?

I'd be very happy to discover that it's only my problem, and that I only have to change my router. However, I can't count how many people saying they faced the exact same problem, and that anything said on this thread (and others) were no help for them. Very annoying :S Cause I wish to share my files (upload), but I'm stuck with 5-6 ko limit. I have a 30 GO global limit with sympatico per month, and I wish I could upload all those GO in order to increase my ratio. Now I have to use bittorrent only by nights in order to free my bandwitch by days.

Both Sympatico and Cogeco interfere with BitTorrent traffic to some degree.

MANY ISPs are this way, especially in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore.

http://torrentfreak.com/canadian-isp-is-throttling-bittorrent-traffic/

utilitaire,

This post I found seemed the best explaination for the problem you're having:

(about 90% down to the bottom)

http://torrentfreak.com/canadian-isp-is-throttling-bittorrent-traffic/

63 Bilange on Sep 26th, 2006 said: |Quote|

Acually, im pretty sure Sympatico (which Im a customer of) does some kind of packet throttling, shaping or whatever;

My first impression is that exactly describes your problems.

Then...well, s/he probably either had too many half-open connections or DHT going on a poor router or modem.

So it's quite likely a red herring.

But I ran across another post that I've since lost the link to, telling about modem problems and how to solve it through scripts and/or firmware upgrades. :(

So now I'm thinking it's quite likely your modem is just total utter crap and is causing you all sorts of grief and pain.

«Then...well, s/he probably either had too many half-open connections or DHT going on a poor router or modem.

So it's quite likely a red herring.»

I would like to know how to verify/correct this.

«So now I'm thinking it's quite likely your modem is just total utter crap and is causing you all sorts of grief and pain»

Hope not cause there is no way I can buy another modem.

«too many half-open connections»

in my router, there is no way to correct this. This afternoon I'm going to buy another router. Can you give me a good suggestion? D-link or linksys? witch model? I'm not sure it will solve the problem, but I need to buy another router for someelse anyway so...

thank you

You've already tested without the router and still had problems.

The router may make it worse, but the problem was still there without it.

If you had multiple computers, try running a torrent on your lan -- uploading from one computer to the other. Then, only your router and computer is in the loop and eliminates the modem from the picture. You'll get to know if the problem is localized to your computer that way.

...you'll just have to read about how to set up µTorrent in tracker mode.

Ok I dont have 3 computers. However, I tried transfering files via MSN messenger between my two computers, while one of them is using bittorrent. The transfer was very slow, but I its not clear that MSN didn't tried to use the Internet to transfer my files... I think MSN usually uses the intern network whenever its possible. It took me more than 5 minutes transfering 700 ko.

"...you'll just have to read about how to set up µTorrent in tracker mode."

tracker mode?

Yes, you can just use 2 computers -- put one computer up as a seed/tracker and see if the other can download it quickly from it. Read the FAQ for µTorrent...multiple times if need be. Also read other FAQs on Torrents. I don't know as I've NEVER done it myself. Was told it wasn't hard.

Do a LAN file transfer...that won't use the internet and should test the router's ability to work while running µTorrent on one computer on the network.

I had this exact same problem since i received my new router yesterday, but with some googling I luckily found a solution from someone on another site. For anyone that has DDR-WRT, go to the 192.168.1.1 administration pages(or whatever your setup page address is supposed to be) and click on the administration tab. Then on that screen, scroll down and set this:

Maximum Ports: 4096

TCP timeout: 120

UDP timeout: 120

The default amount of ports was 512, which was way too little for P2P applications.

This solved EVERYTHING for me and I was so relieved that my new WHR-G54S wasn't a crappy router. I was even able to allow DHT and re-patch to enable net.max_halfopen to 40 again, along with mostly all the features of uTorrent. I hope this helps. I registered just to post this lol. =D

• 2 weeks later...

«If torrents are slow copying from 1 computer to another on the network, I think this rules out your modem as the problem-causer.»

Well it means the router is probably the cause. However, Bittorrent still slows down my connection when I'm directly connected to the modem.

«I agree - need to rule out local network first. Does simply transfering files between computers via the LAN (and windows sharing) slow down the internet as well?»

No it doesn't. Only bittorrent is capable of slowing my connection that much. Even when I download large files via FTP at full speed (650ko/s), the rest of the internet is still A LOT faster than when I'm using bittorrent.

«Do regular file transfers across your network also go slow?

...it sounds like a serious network problem already!»

Yeah but I still cant figure out how this could happen with 2 different ISP, 2 different router (d-link, linksys). In both cases, as soon as the upload rate goes beyond half of my capacity, everything becomes slow. With cogeco, my brother has a 80k/s global maximum upload, and he has to keep his bitorrent upload under 35k/s.

I have a question to all of you:

What is you global upload limit with your ISP, and what is you upload limit with your bittorrent client? I mean: can you use 80% of you upload bandwitch with bittorrent without slowing down the entire network? Suppose you have a 80k/s upload limit with you ISP, are you able to upload up to 60k/s without slowing down your network? Try a ping and test that you're as fast as without bittorrent. You should ping google.com with at lest 40ms

I am on ComCast cable ISP.

Officially, I have 6 Mbps down/384k up.

However in practice I only get about 360-380 kilobits/sec up.

I am uploading right now at 42 KB/sec with barely a wiggle in the graph over the last 8+ hours...and that's with being connected to less than 10 total peers over 3 torrents.

So even by conservative estimates, I am using 87.5% of max upload bandwidth. (336 / 380).

However there are also overheads for the connections to consider, so each KB/sec I upload takes MORE than 8 kilobits/sec bandwidth...probably about 9 kilobits/sec or even as high as 10 kilobits/sec.

So to keep the numbers simple, 42 KB/sec upload speed would take 378-420 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth.

Obviously my overhead estimation is likely high...as I don't have 420 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth.

But...I'd say I'm pushing between 95-99% max upload bandwidth utilization. This is nearly impossible with many connections, especially half-duplex ones.

Even increasing my upload speed 1 KB/sec to 43 KB/sec causes the bandwidth graph to go "ragged" as it bursts above 40 KB/sec...only to fall down near 0 KB/sec as my ISP drops random packets to keep my upload speed below max.

Right now my pingtimes to www.google.com are 194ms, 242ms, 136ms, 154ms for an average of 182ms.

I can surf the web, such as posting here, with only a slight delay between the loading of web pages.

I always cap my max upload to 80% of my global upload cap. I also have a shitty cap, so if I start really thrashing my connection, the net DOES slow down. However, this has been explained before as you need to ACK all download packets.

I keep asking you to check this and you keep stubbornly ignoring us, but does transferring torrents affect file copies only between your two computers i.e. copy a big movie or something off the other computer onto your's and see if that speed goes down when you start a torrent?

Excuse me for semi "borrowing" this thread, (I don't need an answer). But i must say i can't wait for 1.7 to see if it works good, 1.6 used to work fine and then suddenly speed is crap and so is browsing at the same time, what the hell is going on, is the NSA crippling packets?.

Anyways I have done everything one can except try the tcp patch.

I saw on someone's router or modem configuration screen a timeout delay for TCP and UDP packets.

...and on TCP it said if not value was entered it defaulted to 86,400 seconds -- one full day!

If you see a similar thing that can be configured on your modems or routers, reduce the timeout delay to 600 seconds. UDP timeout delay can be even less, at say 300 seconds.

" transferring torrents affect file copies only between your two computers i.e. copy a big movie or something off the other computer onto your's and see if that speed goes down when you start a torrent?"

no. Transfering files does not slow down bittorrent. Nothing, except bittorrent, can actually slow down the network. Even if I transfer large files, I dont see the difference anywhere. If I start bittorrent, I still can reach my average download.

"But...I'd say I'm pushing between 95-99% max upload bandwidth utilization"

That's what I thought, and I'm not surprised at all. In fact, that's totally normal to use 95% of the bandwich without freazing the network. That's why I'm really upset about my network. There's something wrong and I cant figure out what.

Archived