Utorrent Slowing Down Entire Internet

Dead-Jester

"no. Transfering files does not slow down bittorrent. Nothing, except bittorrent, can actually slow down the network. Even if I transfer large files, I dont see the difference anywhere. If I start bittorrent, I still can reach my average download."

I was wondering if transferring bittorrent affected your network transfers, not the other way around.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not actually that the modem HAS to be half-duplex, but rather that the ISP offers bandwidth in a half-duplex format. The DSL is just like a network card in that regard, capable of running in full or half duplex...and almost any speed from <100 Kbit down/up ...all the way up to 8 Mbit down/1 Mbit up.

If you are FAR from the telephone exchange, your connection will be lower speed even if the ISP offers higher speeds...and even if you are paying for the higher-speed line!

"If you are FAR from the telephone exchange, your connection will be lower speed even if the ISP offers higher speeds...and even if you are paying for the higher-speed line!"

ok but I'm real close to the central, and I have a real good connection speed when I'm not using bittorrent.

"ESPECIALLY if the DSL modem is set up in bridge mode"

my modem is in router mode. I also had 2 different modem with 2 different ISP. I was before with Cogeco, then Videotron, finally Sympatico. All the same in 3 cases.

Merged double post(s):

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure It has something to do with the pourcentage of your upload limit you're using. I can believe that some people are able to use 95% of their bandwidth, but I'd be curious to check how many people can actually use that much bandwidth without killing their connection. I come to think that most people do not see any difference using bittorrent since they're not using more than 50 or 60% of their upload limit. As long as I stay below a certain rate, everything «seems» normal. But it is ABSOLUTELY impossible to go beyond 50 or 60% without saturate my bandwidth.

How depressing. But Its my only conclusion since all these factors ar not valid:

-ISP: I'v tried 3 different

-modem: I'v tried 3 different

-place: I'v tested it in 3 different appartments, in 3 cities :S

-router: 3 different models, 2 different manufacturers.

-computer: 5 different computers.

-bittorrent client: I'v tried uTorrent, Azureus, BIttorrent, ABC

none of these factors is the cause of my problem(besing bittorrent itself)

EDIT by silverfire: The edit function exists for a reason. Double posting instead of editing is negligent and unnecessary.

I've been having the same problem. I run uTorrent with a global maximum of 40 connections, speed capped at 80 KB down, and my house's 1.5Mb connection grinds to a halt. While I was out, my roommate killed my IP and everything was fine for everyone else. After I fixed a few settings (disabled DHT, IP resolving and all that stuff), we turned it all back on, and about 10 minutes later things started getting bad again.

This is the important part. Unlike most of the people on this forum, my roommate isn't using some cheap hardware router/firewall, but rather a full-blown computer running BSD. This has the advantage that we can actually query the connection table and see just how many connections are open. From my machine, there are about 90. From everyone else in the house, 17. Moreover, most of those connections are completely idle, waiting for the router to expire them. uTorrent isn't closing the connections that it opens. Rather, it just stops sending data and forgets about them.

As far as I'm concerned, mystery solved. I'll be using Azureus until the next version comes out.

"From my machine, there are about 90. From everyone else in the house, 17. Moreover, most of those connections are completely idle, waiting for the router to expire them. uTorrent isn't closing the connections that it opens. Rather, it just stops sending data and forgets about them."

Very interesting, and that's exactly what I'v been thinking recently.

The router or computer acting as a router as well as the computer µTorrent is on has a timeout value for how long before killing closing connections. SOME have that value set as high as 1 DAY, so even a slow trickle of connections piles up and kills everything after 12+ hours.

Hi, i was having this problem too and trough lots of messing around with the options of my router and modem i figured out that it was a little setting in utorrent that caused this problem, go into options --> preferences --> connection and lower the value on global maximum number of connections, keep lowering it by 10 until your ping is similar to what it is without utorrent running, i did this and now everything works fine

"Hi, i was having this problem too and trough lots of messing around with the options of my router and modem i figured out that it was a little setting in utorrent that caused this problem, go into options --> preferences --> connection and lower the value on global maximum number of connections, keep lowering it by 10 until your ping is similar to what it is without utorrent running, i did this and now everything works fine"

I agree that worked for me too, but that's not a solution since it strongly limits my download/upload. As soon as I pass from 300 to 10 connections, my current download speed drops from 100ko to 30-35ko.

I haven't read all the posts in great detail, so ignore this if this has already been addressed:

The slow internet issue actually has nothing to do with uTorrent. This only happens because your upload is being throttled by your ISP, which you can easily be fixed by calling them. If you're unsure whether or not this is a problem with uTorrent, just upload anything and see if your internet still slows down.

"The slow internet issue actually has nothing to do with uTorrent. This only happens because your upload is being throttled by your ISP, which you can easily be fixed by calling them. If you're unsure whether or not this is a problem with uTorrent, just upload anything and see if your internet still slows down."

I can upload via

-MSN

-windows network

-IIS

-FTP

-limewire

-kazaa

-outlook

no problem at all, even transfering at 95% of my bandwidth capacity(75k0/s). I still can ping google at 40 ms.

But when I use utorrent or Azureus and upload at 40ko/s, everything becomes slow and my ping at google is nearly 1000 ms :-(

Believe me, its clearly a bittorrent problem. Moreover: bittorrent is killing my connection so bad, that even if I would try as hard as I can to do that with another program, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to kill it that bad. Can you slow down your network so much that you ping google at 2000 ms? A great challenge hah? Well I can to that anytime I want to: with utorrent and Azureus.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to completely fix this problem by downloading cFosSpeed.

It's a program that manages your upload and download bandwidth to give you either maximum downloads or maximum ping time. My uTorrent was taking up all my resources and I couldn't browse the net very well but once I install cFosSpeed I could browse the net and my torrents were running faster too. check out www.cfos.de

• 1 month later...

OK I never had this problem with a DIRECT internet connection &

never had the problem with a belkin router or a netgear router!

Both these routers were crap so I bought an Edimax (which is

fantastic) Then I started having this proplem I have a 2 MB

connection!

Even if my download in Utorrent was really low like 10k or

something I would still get timed out when searching the

web or it would take forever!

UTorrent stated it was configured properly and I had forwarded

the ports correctly via portforward.com for my specific router.

As it worked before though I could only put it down to my router

eventually I found in my router settings under NAT / UPNP SETTINGS

there was a check box saying UPnP Feature was disabled!

I enabled it and it has been PERFECT ever since, I know this may seem

really obvious but just thought I'd share it for any1 else who has an

edimax and didn't know!

Laters

• 2 months later...

I know this topic hasnt been active for a while but I may be able to help someone in the same situation I was in. I was using utorrent and having the same problem, only a couple of active downloads using nowhere near my bandwidth allocation and I basically couldnt browse the net with IE or FireFox. Turned out the problem was Kaspersky antivirus...for some reason it causes this to happen. I went back to McAfee and problem solved immediately. ":)"

Hi just registered because I had a simular problem.

My problem was that having utorrent running it would slow down the LAN and the internet so much so that you wouldn't even be able to ping your own router without 75% loss. I figured it was my router but it had never suffed from such behaviour in the past using utorrent. I found a fix but it was to do with my Network Adapter nothing to do with utorrent or my router.

For people having the same problems, try going into device manager and locate the Network device you are using to connect to your router, click on it and go to the advanced tab, now look for an option that says 802.1p Support. If its enabled this could be the whats causing the problems It was enabled for me after a driver install but I had remembered that it was normaly off by default in past drivers so I turned it off and the problem with utorrent vanished.

Archived