Can't get a Network OK green icon

Mr Berns

My network icon is always either red or yellow--I can't get a green one.

I have cable internet from Mediacom.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition with the Windows Firewall.

I have a Linksys WRT54G v5 with the latest firmware.

I believe I port forwarded correctly but when I do uTorrents 'Test if port is forwarded properly' it says that it isn't.

I made uTorrent and the port I'm using (47040) both exceptions to the Windows Firewall.

Can anyone give me any advice?

I guess I'm not 100% sure that I forward it correctly but I'm _pretty_ sure that I did.

Yes, I set up a static IP address.

I just tried forwarding it to a different port (33165) to see if that makes any difference but it didn't help.

(Sorry, I'm used to GameFAQs forums where there is no edit button)

[EDIT]

Here's something that I got when I tried to go to that Shields UP site I saw posted somewhere on this forum. Could this have anything to do with it:

Attempting connection to your computer. . .

Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!

One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

Also, for every single one of the Common Ports it says that have a Stealth status.

It is a good thing if port 139 is "Stealthed". That's a LAN-related port...for traffic BEST kept INSIDE the LAN. :cool:

You want a port above port 1000 to be open instead. Use ShieldsUp! to check ALL service ports from 1-1000. And try checking the port you supposedly forwarded as well.

A router is just 1 thing that can firewall you, which would make your port/s on ShieldsUp! closed or stealthed.

Antivirus software, software firewalls, proxy servers (netnanny!), and even some viruses can also cause firewalled conditions that need to be resolved.

At the same time, you need some blocking of incoming ports to prevent virus/exploiting disasters...so make sure when the µTorrent port is open that others are not.

It says every port from 1 to 1055 is stealthed.

For the port I forwarded I get this:

Results from probe of port: 33165

0 Ports Open

0 Ports Closed

1 Ports Stealth

---------------------

1 Ports Tested

THE PORT tested was found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,

- NO unsolicited packets were received,

- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

As for the other things that you mentioned:

-Does AVG affect my firewalled conditions?

-I have already set utorrent as an exception to windows firewall.

-I don't have a proxy server.

-According to AVG I don't have any viruses.

• 2 weeks later...

Ultima, are you asking if I set my static IP address to what the cmd /k ipconfig thing says? If so, then, yes.

Switeck, I'm not sure about the Windows firewall question. Is that something that is on the Advanced tab? I have not messed with anything there. Also, I use AVG Free and the only firewall I have is the Windows Firewall.

Archived