My ISP is able to block utorrent encrypted transfers :(

VooD

Well, that´s basically the problem, till about a couple of weeks we (myself and the rest of users) could easily download up 450kb/s or so using any BT client. But now we are limited to 32kb/s whichever port or client we use. Of course http and ftp transfers still work at the good rates. Is it just they figured out how to detect and cap BT protocol transfers.

For example, let´s say I download a torrent with hundreds of seeds no peers except for me...result : 32kb/s

Now, at the same time I add another torrent with the same conditions...result: each torrent downloads at 16kb/s.

I tryed using uTorrent / Azureus encryption and even forcing to only accept encrypted connections, but it didn´t work, they cap the protocol anyway.

On the other hand, newest emule ofuscation seems to be working just fine and I can download far better than with any BT client...but who knows how much that would last.

Of course, all the ports are correctly opened, and is not a problem from my modem, which can download from everywhere at 450kb/s (except p2p programs), nor windows fault.

I hope somebody discover a way to "ofuscate" even more the bt protocol.

Thanks for reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Am using the Streamyx broadband ISP in Malaysia (Telekom Malaysia) - which is practically the only choice that most people have. Recent 'upgrades' this past month have basically killed BT for most users in the country. There definitely has been an installation of traffic shaping hardware that is able to detect and block encrypted BT traffic.

I think that the ISP is still fine-tuning their shaping policy, but last week was an especially clear indication of the throttling hardware at work. DL from a well seeded private tracker would be happily crawling along at 10kb/s until the stroke of midnite when KABOOM the DL shoots up to 100kb/s (my maximum capacity). The uptick on the speed graph in Utorrent is like a vertical line! If that isn't shaping, then I don't know what is. Overnight speeds were consistent and maxed out my line. Then, at 7.30am shaping kicks in and speed plummets.

My point is that I think the new generation of packet shaping hardware is able to identify and control ENCRYPTED BT data transfer. Unfortunately, these devices are going to get a lot more common around the world and BT users are going to feel the pain.

If you're not shaped now, be happy because I think that many more people are going to be affected by this soon enough.

I hope that UTorrent can be updated in the future to counteract this hardware because I miss my torrents....!

A sudden burst means very little -- maybe you just connected to a fast peer all of a sudden. As I've said above, they're not detecting encrypted BT packets. They're detecting unknown traffic, or based on traffic patterns. There's absolutely nothing that can be done about it on the client's end.

I am using the same ISP as VooD and I am being throttled like him. One thing I notice is that I can only get good download speeds from peers in my country. All other international peers are either blocked or give me very slow download speeds. Does anyone know what is happening to my connection? Is my ISP using some device like NetEnforcer / DPI to throttle me or is it my ISP's international link clogged up or what?

µTorrent's Scheduler can deal (somewhat) with daily fluctuations...so long as you know roughly what the limits at each time of the day is. It won't give you awesome speeds, but will at least let you get closer to your limits.

Many of the ISPs along the Pacific rim are throttled to external ips regardless of type of traffic. You may be able to download from remote ips at decent speeds (>50 KB/sec), but not be able to upload faster than 5 KB/sec. This is throttling, but it's even more extreme than "just" BitTorrent traffic.

New Zealand has it about the worst. They get "leftovers" bandwidth-wise from Australia...which doesn't have enough for itself. I've heard they have <1 GB/month bandwidth limits for international traffic...unless you want to pay out the nose.

• 2 months later...

I just signed on to this board to voice my dissatisfaction over my ISP, Streamyx implementing traffic shaping. My torrents used to fly on well-seeded ones but not it's just trickling through. This sucks.

:(

My wish for BitTorrent and uTorrent would be for a way to circumvent this. That's all I want for Christmas this year.

:)

Archived