Static IP Issues

Momo

I'm new to uTorrent, but I've read through the suggested guidelines and searched the forum thoroughly for an answer to my questions, and I've found none specific to my problems.

First of all, I realized I need to create a static IP to make uTorrent work, because mine is automatic. I'm on my cousin's networked DSL Internet connection, so first and foremost I want to know how these changes will affect the other two computers on the network. I assume there will be no harm done to their computers or their connections, but I don't want to go screwing around with other peoples' computers before I know what exactly will happen.

I followed the uTorrent static IP guide to have a look at what I was dealing with. The two DNS servers I found in the DOS prompt were identical; the guide said to call my ISP if they didn't work, but it said nothing about them being identical. Do I also need to call my ISP in this case?

My last concern is that one of the computers on the network has no listed Default Gateway, in place of "DNS servers," it says "WINS servers," and the IP address and subnet masks are both listed as "0.0.0.0," which doesn't seem right to me. I suspect this is because the computer wasn't purchased but built by my uncle, but I really have no clue.

If anyone can shed any light, I'd greatly appreciate it. And I apologize if, despite my searching, I managed to ask a redundant question.

Alright. . . so I set up a static IP for my own computer, leaving the Alternate DNS server field blank (haven't changed the other computers in the house, being that I have no idea what to do with the one that has no Default Gateway). I am getting faster speeds on uTorrent now, but it still says that the port isn't open and I still have a yellow "no incoming connections" icon.

I'm using Windows XP.

I followed the directs on the guide, but the Server IP Address it told me to put into the last field wouldn't work. After I put it in, the router configuration site told me "Server IP address must be a LAN IP address." I was supposed to put in the static IP address that I created for my computer, right? Or should I have set up the other computers to have static IPs first?

What "server IP address" do you speak of...? Order doesn't matter, as long as the IP you're trying to set statically to a computer isn't already taken by another computer (in which case all it takes is a simple restart of both computers, allowing the static IP one to start up first).

I'll show you the screenshot. http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WGR614v6/WGR614v64.jpg

There where it says Server IP Address, the one that the guide told me to put there wouldn't work. I got a message that said "Server IP address must be a LAN IP address." I thought maybe this was because I haven't set the other two computers to have static IP addresses (my computer isn't the one that the router and modem are hooked up to, by the way-- I just have a wireless adapter that receives the signal). The IP address that the guide gave me was also different from my computer's static IP address, though I tried that one too and it didn't give me any error message, but when I checked uTorrent, it still said the port was closed.

That's the Westell 6100, aka a modem+router combo. You have to set it to bridge mode, but before you do that, you should have a copy of your ISP's login info (the PPPoE settings in the modem). If you can't set it to bridge mode, you're going to have to forward the ports form your modem to your router, which in turn will forward to your computer.

@Momo: It actually isn't all that complicated, I just made it sound so. If you already have the login information from your ISP, then you can probably skip the copying of the information (though it still wouldn't hurt to check the PPPoE settings in the router to be sure it's identical). Other than that, just find a place in the router that mentions setting it to bridge mode, and enable that option, and you're done.

The reason copying down the PPPoE settings is important is that some modems contain the login information so that you don't have to log in manually from your computer -- instead, the login work is relegated to the modem (which makes sense). If setting it to bridge mode disables the login stuff (and thus makes you unable to use the internet), then all you have to do is fill the PPPoE settings into your router instead.

Archived