Lost my window volume control?

honyoku

I search :( , but couldn't find anything related.

I just downloaded and installed utorrent. Has been successful in downloading however, the little speaker in the system tray that allow you to adjust the window volume has been disabled.

Double click on the little speaker and it said "no active mixer available".

Any idea/pointer to resolve this? (I restore the window setting before the installation of utorrent and the volume control comes back on like normal)

I am on Win XP MCE Version 2002 SP2

Thanks in advance.

Windows audio settings is something µTorrent even remotely goes close to touching -- heck, the closest µTorrent goes to touching Windows internal settings is the Windows Firewall exceptions list. There's something else wrong with your system, but it's almost definitely not µTorrent.

• 1 month later...

I hate to break it to you Ultima, but it is ut causing this problem.

I developed this on my 'work' computer (dell dimension something with a SoundMAX onboard), and this started on the weekend, yesterday figured it was windoze and did a full format and reinstall. Same problem again. Full reformat and only ut and the problem happens. So I switched it over to my 'games' comp with a XFI and a AC97 and after about an hour with no seeding or leeching the sound also dissapears.

Whe3n the sound crashes the network also crashes, sorta. There is still net access, but you cannot access that machine through the lan. There is no firewall/antivirus/etc. in fact there is no security software at all bar spybot

Corrupted/overloaded sound drivers is my guess.

I experience some sound and picture jitter after and while µTorrent is running for 24 hours straight downloading and uploading.

My guess is although µTorrent is somewhat low cpu-consuming, its program cycles may fall in such a way as to crowd out a realtime application in a given time-segment.

With consistant fall-behinds for sound and video, I've seen tearing on rare occassion and bad sound breakups...so I guess it's remotely possible with bad/poor/weak sound drivers that even a crash could occur due to a buffer overrun somewhere.

Nah, what I think it is, is the routine where ut adds itself to the firewall list is a bit hinky. As in I got a proper crash but didnt think to store it or read it.

Possible solution ( has worked overnight for me)

turn of the section where ut adds itself to the firewall list

then it should work

but I also turned thre firewall back on, and created a manual exception for it.

Sorry for taking so long, I went away for a couple of days.

But it would not suprise me that it is windows. But with that section turned off the system works fine, in fact the easist solution is just to turn the windows firewall back on. and that is after 4 or five days running, so I would call that tested enough.

btw Ive tried a loooot of clients, and this is by far the best and easiest to use, with that exception of one little hickup, but that is just windows lying about the problem. Much appreciation to all involed.

Archived