WebUI v0.315

Directrix

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff!

All the world needs now is a miniature Linux µTorrent to run on my NAS, controllable via the WebUI. This way we'd be doing something for the environment and against high electricity bills... :-)

No seriously, that would be awesome!

Yeah, unless the NAS can run WINE... you're better off using libtorrent-based bittorrent client in the embedded device.

I hear you about electricity... though if you have a dedicated bittorrent box, you don't need to have it use so much power. It likely doesn't need optical drives, or a monitor... but those savings would probably be reduced by the extra PSU and hard drives you stick in it. :P

Is there any reason the webui is not hosted at googlecode or some other central repository? I have seen and applied multiple fixes and improvements. It would be nice for them to gather in a central location. Would anyone (mods) be against the idea?

Alternatively the updated version seems to be taking quite a while. Are they in need of assistance? I would like to offer my services. Especially in cross-browser compliance and not relying on browser-detection.

But please note that this almost 2 year old version is gonna be redundant when the new version comes out (no eta)

2 years of development on a client-side interface... something that can't really be closed source. Wow. That is insane.

I wonder why the devs didn't throw this on google code or sourceforge years ago. Anyone know?

You seem to know what's going on and perhaps know the devs. If this is the case, let them know if they need help, i would like to volunteer my services. I can't imagine spending years on a front end alone... a website to be exact.

Directrix (who codes the webui itself) is really, really slow

2 years on a front end? Perhaps it is time to search for replacements... I would assume he has a score of other duties that don't take 2 years each, correct? Was he hospitalized during this time period? Is he blind or otherwise handicapped? Are they hiring for his position?

As it stands now what do you think it's lacking?

Nothing major. Just ie6, opera, and safari support (by default). I've fixed the last 2 myself. If I had the time, I'd fix ie as well. Keep in mind as old as IE6 is and as much as people seem to hate it, it still consumes a larger market share than IE7.

Sources:

http://www.webreference.com/stats/browser.html

http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat.htm

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Seems like support beyond FF2 and IE7 have been needed for a while. Those seem like important things to release for... maybe I'm just weird.

With 2 years of work on a front end, he has raised the bar on my expectations. I hope SVG graphs are a part of it.... maybe even a 3D interface.

Doubtful. Default settings/plugin frontend are not built for shiney features. The multi language WebUI thread has some nifty stuff ... newly added speed tab. Keep in mind when the original development was there, ff and ie7 weren't as established. Given IE6's shitty "standards" support it nothing should be coded-for IE6... I'm only slightly more approving of IE7 since it doesn't assume the web is broken from MS's "standards" by default.

Default settings/plugin frontend are not built for shiney features

So 2 years to work on basic features? Is Directrix volunteering to make the front end? I wish I had an assignment that I got paid for that I could stretch out for 2 years.

Given IE6's shitty "standards" support it nothing should be coded-for IE6

Spoken like a true non-web dev

i "think" iv done everything .. and i can log on the webUI from my computer... but it doesnt work on my ipod touch.. it asks for a user name and pass.. i put it in.. hit login.. and it just asks for my username and pass again.. forever... and im typing it right.. any help? .. im on firmware 1.1.1 =P could that be a reason?

edit-- well nm i got normal WEBUI to load on the ipod.. but the iphone version still wont... what i had screwed up before was a CAP in the username.. ipod doesnt type with CAPs =P

Archived