Error: Can't open .torrent file

plasmoid

Hi there - I wanted to transfer all my torrents to another machine so I copied the utorrent folder under app data however the users aren't the same so it can't find the torrent files even though the torrents are mapped to the same drive.

Is there a way I can update the .torrent path or something?

Cheers,

J.

• 1 month later...

The user account has to be the same name. But there's a simple work around for this. Either create a new Windows account that has the same name as your current torrenting username on the first machine. Or the less hassle way is to just create the same appdata path by creating New Folders and move the data there.

For example, the app data on my primary computer is stored in: C:\Documents and Settings\ADMIN\Application Data\uTorrent

So if I wanted to start torrenting on my secondary computer, I would browse to the Documents and Settings folder, create a folder named ADMIN, open that folder then create a new folder called Application Data, then open that folder, and finally create a folder there called utorrent. And then of course copy all the appdata into there.

It works like a charm for me :)

i guess i didnt have the exact thing

i built a new comp and i wanted to have the same torrents listed in utorrent?

i copied my old appdata and copied it to the new comps utorrent appdata folder

some of the paths have changed,but not all, and i dont know what to do

when i open up utorrent all my torrents from before says : Error: Can't open .torrent file : [path].....

You can fix this, but it's a real pain. You're going to have to edit resume.dat manually, fixing the paths to every .torrent file, and changing the number immediately before the start of each .torrent file path (the number corresponds with the length of the path).

i read your post

didnt see how to change acutal path of the torrent to where it is on the hd

here ill explain a lil more

k i had 4 hds before i build the new comp

2 hds are still the same just for storage, and now the other 2 are on raid so the location is different than it was on the last comp

edit: i changed the paths so they matched up, so they dont say the "Error: Can't open .torrent file" but when i recheck it says 0% when i know its done

thats when i need to change where it points to right?

Yes a real pain to do with that many torrents. Sure, you can always do as Invy suggested, but it's kinda annoying to have to have a separate directory... Anyhow, what Invy was saying was that wherever µTorrent is looking for the .torrent file, you create that directory and move the respective .torrent files to. You'll see the path from the error message...

Oh.......... yeah............ that's the only problem. It works like a charm for me because I only have like 6 or 7 total different paths. So I just highlight all the torrents in utorrent that share the same path, then right-click > change download location, then I browse to the location. Then it starts hashchecking it. I then repeat this for the other paths.

I wish the coder would create an option to change the paths automatically. That would be cool :D

i only need like 4 paths, the only stuff on the hds are torrent files, but when i right click on them and and set download location, and force recheck it goes to 0% real quick

edit: maybe not, i think i have to browse the whole hd and then choose the folder that i want

ahh this will take way to long

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so, now maybe I am just a little slow...which is ok I don't mind, but the same problem occurs if I turn off my MYBook western Digital external Hard drive while .torrents are downloading. I only turn off the Hard drive after I have shut down utorrent though, and after I turn it back on to resume downloading as well as having my external drive reconnected and loaded, I still can't resume the downloading. I do struggle a bit with the jargon of the advice you guys leave, although it has been a big help with some other issues.

Basically, I still get the Error: Can't open .torrent file message the file path goes as follows:

C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Application Data\uTorrent\"filename"

Now I tried to find this "application data" Folder but it doesn't seem to exist even after a windows search, forgive if this is something stupid I am asking but I would like to resume the torrents I have and really don't know what to do. I have read this whole post and I understand most of it. But I still maybe just maybe, may need a slightly more detailed walkthrough as to how to get them to work again.

And one more question is how come the file says: C:\Documents and Settings and not G:\torrents\? or whatever it should be on the external drive.

Archived