Speed jumps

Gravenimage

Hi, i'd like to first thank everyone at utorrent for such a good reliable program.

I've used utorrent for a while and it's always been fine when i was on 2meg. i've got the 50 connection patch for SP2 and everything is fine BUT. Recently since i've been on 10meg i've been having these awesome speed boosts like for example i'll be downloading say 4-8 things at a time and i'll be doing 240kb/sec total, (which i'm happy with). But i'm getting teased with huge massive boosts up to 800kb/sec total and all are going at say 200kb/sec. and it lasts for about 15 seconds and then goes back down to 200kb/sec total. I'm using an ntl modem and nothing is enabled like norton or windows firewall and i was wondering what could be the problem. I've checked around on FAQ and can't find anything. It's like ntl is releasing my modems full speed mocking me lol. Oh well if anyone could be of help i'd much appreicate it. thanks and off to college!

You are probably briefly exceeding your ISP's set speed limits, so you get a very brief speed burst and then it auto-throttles way down.

Also, they may have BitTorrent traffic throttled well below your max download speed from websites. Setting your upload speed close to the maximum (or running without upload speed limits) also severely reduces download speeds.

Have you tried the testing torrents such as OpenOffice to see if you can get max speeds on them?

Archived