1.1.7.289, enourmous memoryleak?

bozotheclown

Hi all,

default settings, just 2 torrents, downloading at 60kb/s, uploading at 35kb/s and taskmanager states utorrent.exe takes up 2.988kb but 200Mb RAM is lost. As soon as I kill utorrent the 200Mb is found back and my free ram is up to 745Mb.

Does anyone else notice this?

Patrick

btw. the amount of RAM that's 'lost' grows as long as utorrent runs, now it's up to 350Mb that's lost and still growing.

it was false and to try I set it to true, it states *true btw. and that seems to make a difference.

But, it still seems to take up around 20-30Mb ram that's not reported in the taskmanager utorrent.exe entry. That's probably caching but I must say, this is the first time I see this behaviour with utorrent.

Now I get the feeling I'm being countered moderatly agressive/irritated because I have what can be interpreted as criticism? (which is btw not the way the question is intended!)

Throwing it on how my system behaves is a bit strange.

I merely state that 4mb+more then 200mb is a bit steep for a 4mb memory footprint client and wonder if that's working as designed.

If so, these are the default settings under which this memory load occurs then the 4mb memory footprint is not true. One can argue that bitcomet for instance, which on my machine on averige takes up between 55 and 65mb has in reality a much smaller memory footprint then utorrent and I really don't believe that's the objective in developing utorrent so I think I'm right to wonder about the 200+ mb extra footprint that utorrent in reality takes up using default settings.

If questions like these aren't welcome here then I'll take a hike, just let me know people.

Grtz,

Patrick

I've cheked up with my system.. I agree with chaos here.. Utorrent doesnt comsume much like u statin.. I have 1 torrent runnin and utorrent takes ~2000 k in memory.. As for my memory i have 768kb, but many process runnin.. I closed Utorrent and cheked it again it doesnt increase upto 200mb..

I think somethin else is eatin up ur ram.. In Utorrent >> preferences >> Advanced Option.. u will c "net.low cpu" its originaly on true.. try puttin it on false and c if there's big difference in ur ram.. If utorrent is really eatin ur ram it shud be consumin more than 200 then i guess.. Mine is on false & its wrkin fine..

Hope this will help u out.. :twisted:

Whatever, On my clean installed 1Gb ram system I van cleary see that without utorrent I have some 750Mb ram free, with utorrent running (default settings) It dumps to some 500Mb free ram! utorrent.exe only takes up 2-4Mb but the rest of that ram loss builds up over a period of 10-20minutes and is freed up again when utorrent is killed.

uTorrent is great, I'm just stating that I can't believe it's a goal to have a client which supposedly takes up 4mb but in reality makes 200+ mb ram get lost. By changing the diskio.flush_files setting to true (default is false) that is solved and the extra ram dissapering by running utorrent is some 15mb extra added to the 2-4mb that utorrent.exe takes up.

so basicly I'm stating that to make good on ly low resource usage statement it would be best to set diskio.flush_files to true by default:)

To be clear, in taskmanager utorrent.exe in all cases only takes up 2-4mb, it just that when utorrent is running apparantly other processes used by utorrent take up 200+ mb!

This behaviour is not there with clients like bitcomet for instance, it takes up some 60mb on my system and when killed that proves to be all it takes and therefore bitcomet uses some 150mb less ram then utorrent. again, it would be best it utorrent then has the diskio.flush_files by default set to true?

I've cheked up with my system.. I agree with chaos here.. Utorrent doesnt comsume much like u statin.. I have 1 torrent runnin and utorrent takes ~2000 k in memory.. As for my memory i have 768kb, but many process runnin.. I closed Utorrent and cheked it again it doesnt increase upto 200mb..

I think somethin else is eatin up ur ram.. In Utorrent >> preferences >> Advanced Option.. u will c "net.low cpu" its originaly on true.. try puttin it on false and c if there's big difference in ur ram.. If utorrent is really eatin ur ram it shud be consumin more than 200 then i guess.. Mine is on false & its wrkin fine..

Hope this will help u out.. :twisted:

it would be best it utorrent then has the diskio.flush_files by default set to true?

In ur case then i guess u must keep that option true.. but 15 mb xtra is no big deal compared to ur max 1gb u havin..

I dont think default shud be true coz in most systems its wrkin fine, mine is false and runnin ok..

Maybe if a help file kud be attached or some brief description given xplainin the functions of all the advanced options in preferences it will help many users in adjusting their settings.. :twisted:

just to make it clear again, I don't have a problem with 15mb extra, the 15mb extra is with the non-default setting!, the default setting is 200+ mb extra, and that is a problem because I like having my torrent downloads running whilst I game:) And with the non-default setting I can.

it would be best it utorrent then has the diskio.flush_files by default set to true?

In ur case then i guess u must keep that option true.. but 15 mb xtra is no big deal compared to ur max 1gb u havin..

I dont think default shud be true coz in most systems its wrkin fine, mine is false and runnin ok..

Maybe if a help file kud be attached or some brief description given xplainin the functions of all the advanced options in preferences it will help many users in adjusting their settings.. :twisted:

everything is default except for the diskio.flush_files setting which I set to true

I installed utorrent 1.1.6 and upgraded from there with every new release.

I'd be willing to bet (friendly bet of course) that it is some sort of settings issue. Show us your settings and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. It can only make things better for all of us bozo.

so I understand but wouldn't the true setting then be a better default? When windows wants the memory for another process in that case it takes less time to release it because it's free allready.

And I have to say the system load in my case is definatly not negatively influenced by the true setting.

And anyway.... 4mb memory footprint when irl it's 200+? that alone seems like a cry for changing the default setting;)

......edit.........

BTW, keep up the great work. with the true setting the memory usage is great and this is the first torrentclient I found that has no and I mean no negative impact whatsoever on my gameplay. Even on my meager AMD 3000+/Geforce 6800GT system.

This is not a memory leak. This is just how windows works. The memory is not lost, it's just used for file cache, if another program wants the memory, windows will release the file cache and give the memory to the program.

You'll see this happen when you copy files as well. I have 2GB of RAM, and when I copy files, Windows will copy the entire file into memory (cache) and then dump it to disk.

I see my free memory go from 60% to 40% then suddenly back to 60% once the file copy is completed.

What is the point of having FREE RAM if you don't use it?

That's fairly simple to answer.....

1: availability means it doesn't have to be freed up when it's neededby another process. possibly a process(application) the user picks to use the ram. When the memory is free that application starts up faster end runs faster.

2: it's just a philosophy in development that chooses not to use something that's not needed.

3: 2 seems to be applicable to utorrent since the claim is that it holds only a 4mb footprint so why develop it in a way that wastes resources which influence 1 in a negative manner?

You'll see this happen when you copy files as well. I have 2GB of RAM, and when I copy files, Windows will copy the entire file into memory (cache) and then dump it to disk.

I see my free memory go from 60% to 40% then suddenly back to 60% once the file copy is completed.

What is the point of having FREE RAM if you don't use it?

for playing games it's not a supermachine:), every frame count's on this config (btw. it's a 32bit 3000+) so it's great that utorrent doesn't cost me any.

And that is a great result. I run all games in 1280x1024, vsync on, aa(at least 2x, mostly 4x) and af(at least 2x, mostly 4x) on. Every other torrentclient I tried lost me frames or caused stuttering at times whilst playing games.

"Even on my meager AMD 3000+/Geforce 6800GT system."

meager :P

Maybe flush_cache should default to true, I dont know. Thats why we're here to help though :P

You should try traffic shaping aswell to help you in that, works wonders for me. http://www.cfos.de/speed/cfosspeed_e.htm

We game differently anyway. I never ever cared for FSAAAF as it just killed the framerate in my eyes without all that much benefit. That might be due to the fact all my cards were: ATi RageIIc -> Voodoo 2 -> Geforce2 MX (Getting a somewhat free Radeon 9800Pro soon.. i wonder how would that feel).

Anyway, Sorry to get off-topic, we should continue this discussion elsewhere if at all ;)

I also found this leak. It turns out that if you let it run for about half an hour, it eats up easily 200m lowering the free memory to very little. I was skeptical when i first read the post, but this is kinda bothering. I dont beleive any other torrent client dose this? Hopefully there is a quick fix. For me lets say i run it for an hour my free memory drops to about 150 from around 500. Then when i exit it shoots back up almost instantaniously. This seems like a serious bug in an otherwise perfect application.

Archived