Unsure what to do at this point

thefil

No matter what I do, I can't seem to alleviate the yellow NAT error icon. I'm not entirely sure what's wrong at this point; for a few hours, I even had the green OK, but that disappeared without me changing a thing. As far as I know, the port is forwarded correctly; I followed the guide for my router at www.portforward.com. The torrent has ample seeders and peers, and I even connect to a fair amount of them - but my download speeds won't go past 30, and they only stay at that height for half an hour or so before dropping back down to 0~5. So, I've come to the forum as a last resort. Here's my info, and a few questions:

Internet Connection: 1Mbps down with Xplornet, a satellite internet service (I live in a rural area, and I'm unable to get anything else). Average download speeds in Firefox with this are in the 120 KBps range.

OS: Windows XP. Windows Firewall is disabled, and always has been.

Network: My computer connects to the internet through a wireless acess point which in turn connects to a wired. The wired connects to the WAN, and has been set up for port forwarding.

Static IP is set up and working.

Port Forwarding: As per the guides at portforward.com, I am port forwarded correctly. As I said before, I even had a green OK light for a short time, and BT worked perfectly.

And here are my questions:

1) Does anyone know anything about Xplornet/Telesat? Do they block BT traffic? I have the encryption in uTorrent enabled. Is there any way to find out if this ISP is blocking traffic (I checked the list in the forum, it's not there).

2) Is there any chance my wireless access point also needs to be port forwarded? Because it's my wired that assigns my IP address (well, I'm on a static IP now).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Yes, your wireless access point also has to be port-forwarded -- though it may already be so.

Most satellite connections only give LAN ips to customers, not unique internet ips. They are forever doomed to be firewalled.

You may be port-forwarded as far as your own computers-to-modem are concerned...but if your ISP is assigning an ip like 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 172.16-31.x.x to your modem...chances are you cannot be truely unfirewalled.

Archived