Is it possible to move a download between computers?

festbitch

Hi!

I have a (probably) unusual problem that I can't seem to find the answer for.

I've recently switched computer at home and have started to move over everything from my old to my new computer. The trouble is that I had som unfinnished downloads on my old computer that I haven't saved the .torrent file for (and I can't find it on the same one on the net anymore), so what I'm wondering is: is it possible to move the unfinnished files and by somehow continue the download without the .torrent file or do I have to finnish the download on my old computer (or restart the download with another .torrent that doesn't contain the exact same files (mostly it's the filenames that differ))?

thnx on beforehand for any kind of input

p.s. I did find another post suggesting the same problem Migrating incomplete downlaods, and the Migration guide but since I don't have the whatever.torrent, I didn't get the transfer to work :(

How can you finish the download on your old computer, if you don't have the .torrent file? As far as I know, I don't think uTorrent (or any other client) can connect to a bittorrent network without using a .torrent file. You probably still have the .torrent file, but you just don't know it. Go to Preferences->Other, and you'll see the section "Storage for .torrent files". Maybe your file is in the directory listed there? (maybe you set that directory some time ago, and forgot about it). If you didn't set that option, then by default your .torrent files should be in %appdata%\utorrent (so I've heared).

Since I use the stand alone version of utorrent, I didn't have to set anything - just press "set as default for .torrent" and press ok. I have looked in the appdata folder (I found that tip too) and on my new computer all of the .torrent are there but on my old, all I can find was a bunch of .dat files. One of 'em is named recover.dat, thoguh, which contains some tracker info and some of the filenames I'm downloading - as far as I know, it's possible it's the recover.dat file that keeps my old computer downloading.

Anyway, I'll poke around more to see if the .torrent is stored elsewere on my old junk.

thnx Harry.

[edit: found some misspellings]

That was actually one of the first things I did ;) but thnx for the tip.

It seems however that the problem solved itself. I decided that the easiest way must be to have the old computer online 'til the download is completed and since nobody has been seeding for some days now, I assume the download is dead...

anyway, thnx to you both for trying to help me.

Archived