Internet stops when opening uTorrent

ff2k

Hi!

I have an annoying problem. As soon as I open uTorrent, I cannot browse any web pages anymore, sign into MSN etc. The problem goes away when i close it and "repair" the connection. I have used uTorrent before without this problem, it just seems to suddenly start doing it.

I have an ADSL connection and a Zoom X4 modem/router.

Thanks!

I am also having this problem. Began out of nothing a few days ago and has not returned to normal. Was running 1.5 until everything started to crawl when utorrent is on, now running 1.6 with no change.

Surely it's not normal behaviour for a torrent program to use the entire router/network bandwidth simply by being on? With the torrents set to STOP?

Is this a common problem lately, or has it been for a long time? I don't browse these forums often (first problem for me), so I dont really know whether this dates back a long time and I've just been lucky enough not to experience it, or whether it's a recent thing.

Strikes me as recent, as there are 2 specific threads that I've seen today about utorrent not giving anything else a chance just by being on.

I have a Zoom X5, which has performed perfectly well with utorrent before this. Mentioning that as I just noticed the thread starter has an X4.

Tried everything in your sig links, Ultima, they gave me hope, but nothing appeases the demon that has infected my program.

I'm having a similar problem. While utorrent's running, the internet will randomly black out and stop letting me load pages for about ten seconds. But I had this problem when I was using Azureus a few days ago, before switching programs, so what could be the problem?

I'm using a Belkin modem/router, and it never has any problems with any other network and internet stuff.

Hi!

I don't want to patch my TCPIP.sys as last time I tried doing that It seemed to mess up my whole network connection (after 2 hours internet browsing and most msn tasks would stop, even after I reverted). This has not occured since I reinstalled windows but I am afraid to mess around with the TCPIP.sys.

I am getting a new router soon so maybe this will help the problem. I have tried choosing less aggressive settings on the "Speed Guide" but this seems to have done nothing.

This problem is very odd, I was fine using uTorrent on this installation of windows until the other day when it started randomly causing my internet to halt (downloads still continue, just can't access any sites etc). It seems to do it whenever I mess around with the default windows TCP settings (using "optimizers" etc), but the problem still remains even after I revert settings!

Hi! I seemed to remedy the problem by doing what Firon suggested (that weird option that took me a while to find.. net.max half open or something). I lowered it from 8 to 5 (not sure if that is too much to hinder my downloading or anything?!). I also tried patching the TCPIP.sys like you suggested Ultima.

So far so good it seems. Just waiting for the internet to start seizing up! Hehe.

• 2 years later...

Guys, the problem is with your routers. I had the same problem with a D-Link EBR-2310, I was very frustrated. I could only browse the internet when uTorrent was closed, when open I had issues resolving DNS while non DNS traffic was fine (IRC, IM, etc.). I purchased a "business router" from ebay, a 3com, and everything has been fine since. Maybe its that the new router has more procesing/ram, I don't know. All I know now is that EVERYTHING is working again and my torrents are faster than ever. I would recommend buying a used business router.

• 1 month later...

I got exactly the same problem and all these wellmeaning tech answers cant be the solution. This started a few days ago. I have NEVER had this problem before. I also almost never change any settings from the clean utorrent install. I noticed quite quickly that utorrent f´d up my connection. Same symptoms as you other guys. Absolute blockage of all other internet connections. I downloaded a fresh install of utorrent and installed. it worked for a little while with the new copy. But now its back to shit again. Im gonna download another torrentprogram and try it out until this problem is solved.

Thank you.

• 1 year later...

Archived