No router, so no need to port-forward?

mushikago

Hi there to all you people who are reading this :D I hope you guys can help me, so here goes. I have an Aztech 208U USB modem, and only modem, no router. That means that I don't have to port-forward right? I've read around the forum but couldn't find the solution just yet...

I keep getting the red icon although I've tried uninstalling my Outpost Pro firewall and also disabling the windows firewall in the SERVICES list itself but of course, none of that worked. The logger also says "unable to map UPnP port", is that normal if I have no router? I've checked my ports and they're not open alright. Even after the exceptions are entered in the firewall it's still the same. I'm getting awful speeds now at 3-5 kbps though when my IP is 218.xxx.xxx I get up to 20kbps max. Again, without a router I can't set up a static IP right?

I'm truly at a loss because the forum keeps mentioning port-forwarding when I haven't a clue how to do it without a router. My friend uses a stand-alone modem and his just works to perfection with no port-forwarding whatsoever, so he's just bragging about his 100kbps speeds all day long xD At the very least, I'm hoping someone can tell me what the heck's wrong with my PC's network config. Anyway thankz ya all for all the efforts in answering the forum's gazillion 'Help me help me's (^.^)v

If your modem was supplied by your ISP, they likely use a modified firmware that restricts your access to any port forwarding/firewall features.

They do this primarily so they don't have to provide tech support for these features.

My DSL ISP had similar restrictions on the ethernet modem that I was given, but I eventually found info on how to bypass those restrictions and now have it operating as a firewall and modem.

Try searching on Google using your modem model number and port forwarding. You could also check the manufacturers website for help.

One other thing to note... USB modems are a load on your system as the modem is considered a system peripheral via USB.

Actually to access your modem's page you need to type in your home gateway...There's a few ways to do this...One is either going to www.portforward.com and find your modem's model and they'll teach you the steps for portforwarding..

Another way is you know the 2 computers you see at your task bar?open it up and click on the support tab...It should state your default gateway..

As for the password and username...I think you gotta ask your ISP or figure it out lol

I've tried www.portforward.com but it didn't list my Aztech modem's model. I suppose mine's not a router. I looked under ipconfig /all using command to find the default gateway but I still couldn't access the modem config page. Any idea what else I could do to access the modem? Other than unscrewing it and soldering in a pair of wires of course :D

Modem is short for modulator/demodulator.. and that's exactly what, and all, it does. You can't forward ports on a modem simply because a modem isn't meant to be connected to more than one computer at a time. Ports have to be forwarded on a router because in a router, it doesn't always know where to which computer it should forward all the data it receives to. In a modem, it doesn't have to decide, because there is only one computer to forward to.

UPnP is an automatic port forwarding protocol. Since you can't (and don't have to) forward ports on a modem, UPnP won't work. The UPnP function in the program is trying to communicate with a nonexistant router.

Your problem lies somewhere else..

And the reason you can't access any sort of configuration page for your modem is because modems don't have one. Their job is simple enough that you don't have to configure it to tell it how to do it's job.

Archived