Availability bar colors- while seeding

z9999

When I'm seeding and have peers coming and leaving it becomes difficult to determine what pieces remain available. The availability bar displays white initially when no peers have downloaded and changes to blue as pieces are distributed. It appears that as more peers acquire pieces the blue darkens and I see white areas, indicating missing pieces, and light blue and dark blue indicating pieces held by one or more peers. The problem I have is that once an are is primarily blue, if a peer disconnects and happens to have one piece no other has, and that piece is in an area that is well distributed, it is difficult to determine if the color is white or light blue as the line is so thin. It would give me peace of mind if pieces that all peers lacked while seeding were indicated by a color that clashed very visibly with blue, like a thin red line which would stand out and not appear to just be light blue when in reality it is white.

Yes, I know this is another nit-picky comment, but if the information is going to be shown, why not assure that it is usable?

The availability bar is there to give a general overview of piece distribution, not to give very specific details. By your method, if a one-pixel wide line encompasses a bunch of pieces (because there are more pieces than your monitor has horizontal pixels), how would you know if it's a single piece having a low distribution, 3 of them, or all the pieces there? In that case, it leads to confusion as well.

In response, I would prefer that a single pixel representing several pieces would be indicative of less than 100% if one of several pieces was incomplete, but as you stated, it is only intended to provide a general overview I won't press the subject further. But if availability is the intention it would appear that the fact that not all pieces were available would be a more correct indication to provide. Whoops, I did press it further, sorry! I fought with the programmers at the Labs (BTL) for many years over similar things so I guess the habit is hard to break.

Ok, I see what you are saying now, and your image must be indicate a DL availability as red does not exist in the color spectrum while seeding, which is what my complaint/question was about. So, in short I should leave this topic alone, but as you pointed out there are color shades ranging from combinations of red and blue which produce various shades, but only in the DL mode. In the seeding mode the combinations range from combinations of white and blue which produce many fewer shades all in the blue range which quickly makes white become difficult to see as as a slim white in between 2 blues appears as a pale blue, so essentially what I was asking was that the availability when seeding would be more effectively useful if the white in the availability display then became red which would show to the seeder the availability of the peers to share with each other. Again not an important issue, but when peers come and go I like to know what areas I have UL'd to them have become necessary to be UL'd again as they had not shared them yet. All this is related to "initial seeding" where it sometimes becomes necessary to cease temporarily for various reasons and with a slow connection I try to schedule such events with the knowledge that my timing allows me to do so and return without having to reseed numerous pieces that are in the possession of a peer who has also disconnected temporarily. Another solution would be to allow the seed to stop and restart while maintaining a record of his/her piece progress to be as a minimum starting piece number when re-starting. I won't push this topic further, but just wanted to present a view more or less and learn a little more. So thanks for the response and sorry I misunderstood you earlier.

Archived