What BT client did you switch from?

iceshake

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been constantly switching between all possible clients. I chose Azureus on this poll, since that was the one I used just before µTorrent.

I disliked the features (and mem usage (70+MB)) in BitComet. I hated the mem usage in Azureus (between 40 and 150 MB all the time)

I have tried every torrent program out there and been completely disappointed by absolutely unacceptable CPU and RAM usage. The programs were terribly programmed and had RAM leaks and excessive run-away CPU processes and it made even simple web surfing and MP3 playing next to impossible with the CPU load being taken by the torrents.

The first program I downloaded was the classic bit torrent made by Bram Cohen himself and that was ok while it was the only game on the internet streets but then Azureus showed up on my doorstep. It consumed lots of resources but it s feature packed as to be ridiculous. Then ABC torrent and BitCommet, etc... started to pop up and they had far better performance than Azureus in CPU/RAM usage but after a while they became susceptible to the same shit and I found myself in a situation where I either had to shut down the bit torrent program or leave the computer entirely and go to another networked PC.

A month or two ago I heard about µTorrent and I was intrigued both by the name and by the claims of next to nothing CPU and RAM usage and I was quickly onboard checking the thing out. However, it still lacked quite a few features I needed in a torrent client, but I was amazed at how quickly they were all built into the software package. Seriously a new release every weak with 5-10 times as many new features as bugs fixed. I thought something is clearly being done right and as soon as I saw some of the basic features I need like global upload limits and multiple simultaneous torrents, etc… I was onboard. I've been using micro torrent for about two and a half weeks now and I won't ever go back. I have uninstalled Azureus and those other poorly programmed clients. Azureus is well programmed, however, its primary fault is what language its programmed in. Generally speaking in my experience anything programmed in Java is 3 times slower and consumes 3 times more system resources than is actually needed. 70-100 megabytes of RAM at idle is unacceptable.

To the makers of µTorrent I give my thanks for proving good software can still be made.

Started with the original when it came out. Later went to Shad0ws Experimental and then BitTornado. Stuck it out with BitTornado all the way until I finally tried something else due to RAM usage, slow updates, unfixed bugs, etc. That something else was µTorrent 1.1.7.2. I still have BitTornado installed just in case, but I'm otherwise sold on µTorrent for the time being.

Hmm..

I started of with the official client, but I was just starting with something and had to catch up on things, so soon I had like 7 screens open. That's not gonna work, so switch!

BitTornado... Was an earlier state, didn't like it. SWITCH!

Azureus... I installed it... I made 3%, shut the computer down, turned it on the next day, and since then, it has refused to work, no matter what I do. Crap.

ABC. Quite a long time I have used this one. This one was second best. I really liked it, but it sometimes just crashed and exited. And anytime I hadn't be closed properly (waiting with the X, then wait a bit more, and then shut down the computer), it started re-checking every torrent in it, while using quite some memory and my whole system would lag.

I do have a better computer now, but I still don't like the re-checking. (As a distro-er I have to get like 12 torrents running.)

µTorrent! ^^ I instantly went searching for a new client, because I had this new computer. Well... I somehow came on this site... And since then it rocks. ^^

Went through ABC, Azureus, BitLord, BitTornado, BitComet... and I think a couple of others... before spotting a link to this and deciding it was worth a try. After solving a few issues I have with my router not opening the ports correctly, I got uTorrent working happily and now I'm fully converted. I'm never going back to the others now. And with DHT support and UDP to follow soon, I'll never need to... all the features I had before in those other clients I now see here :)

Archived