Moving torrents to a new drive completely

z9999

I am trying to move all my torrents to a new drive, and had no problem redefining where the downloaded data should go, using the Advanced, Set download... feature. I would like to remove and replace the drive, but notice that the .torrent file remains on the drive I wish to remove. Is there a way I can move the .torrent file to another drive without losing any of the current statistics related to the torrent?

I always DL to a folder named uTorrentDLs, which in addition to the files being downloaded contains a folder named TORRENTS to store the torrents, but I have some old torrents I wish to continue to seed and a few incomplete DL's that I wish to move to the new drive. Essentially all I will be changing is the Drive letter as the new drive contains the same folder names.

Thank you

I'm not sure I understand or maybe I worded my question poorly. I placed the uTorrent client in a subfolder of ProgramFiles on my boot drive and it remains there. Initially I set up uTorrent to save DL's in H:\uTorrentDLs, and the .torrent files in H:\uTorrentDLs\TORRENTS. When I began to run out of space on the H: drive I told uTorrent to load new DL's to G:\uTorrentDLs, and the .torrent files to G:\uTorrentDLs\TORRENTS. Essentially I ended up with files and .torrents on 2 drives and am trying to get them all in one place now so I can replace the H: drive with a larger one. It was a simple matter to move the DL data and inform uTorrent where to find it without losing any data but the .torrent files remain on the H: drive. I realize I can just initiate the .torrent and do a Re-Check and the .torrent file will then be placed in the G: drives folder, but doing so resets the statistics accumulated. I'm not clear on what %appdata% is, or more accurately, where to look. The only file in the Utorrent folder in Program Files is utorrent.exe. Maybe what I wish to do is not possible?

OK, I got up the nerve to try something and it appears I have no problem after all.

When you change the DL location of a torrent you must manually copy the files to the new location first, and then right click the torrent, go to advanced, and set download location..., entering the new location to save the files. This operation takes care of the data being downloaded by the associated .torrent file, but the .torrent file stays where it was originally placed.

Under Preferences, Other, I had also set a new storage location for .torrent files, but existing files remained at the old location and were not moved automatically. It appears that uTorrent retains the ability to access .torrent files at the old location while saving new .torrent files to the new location. I was under the impression that if I were to move the .torrent files manually to the new location it would still look in the old location and require me to reload the .torrent losing my stats, but as it turns out that is not the case and I see that I can set new locations to save DL's and to save .torrents, then move the DL files to the new location, also move the .torrent files to their new location and uTorrent starts and sees all the info as though nothing has happened. So my problem turns out to be my unwillingness to try for fear of loss of data.

Well anyway I learned something new. So thanks again and sorry to be such a bother with so many questions.

Looks like I need to retract my previous post. It appeared that all was well after moving a copy of the .torrent file to the new drive as I was able to delete copy from the old drive and start the torrent running with no problem. I could find no trace of anything remaining on the old drive associated with uTorrent so I thought all was well. I then shut down the computer and removed the old drive and after rebooting and starting uTorrent I found that the torrents from the old drive had a red x and I ended up having to delete the .torrent file from within uTorrent and then click on the copy I had moved to the new drive in order to access the torrents data files which cleared the stats I was trying to save. Possibly there is a way to accomplish what I was trying to do but I have yet to find it.

You mentioned something about %appdata%\uTorrent previously, and I was unable to determine what %appdata% referred to, and I looked in the Program File\uTorrent directory thinking it might be a file there but found only uTorrent.exe so I did a search for appdata and also found nothing. Could you explain what you mean by %appdata%\uTorrent or a more direct location to look at?

And as always, thanks for your time and info.

<schnurlos> Thank you I see exactly what I need to do now as there is a resume.dat file that makes sense. You can probably tell I'm not primarily a Windows user. Spent most of my life using Unix, so maybe soon I will find a Linux distro that suits me and make the change. So thanks much for helping me understand this, and thanks to Ultima also.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is a old thread, but I read it to get an idea of how to move my files and that brought up a new question. I want to move everything to an external drive. On win xp %appdata% is a system folder created by windows during installation (I checked its propertie) and the "formal" path to that folder is C:\Documents and Settings\Ramalama\Application Data\uTorrent - I cannot move that folder if I wanted to because 24 other applications, including Microsoft Ofice, Installshield, Macromedia, my virus program etc.

So that means that I will have find a way to save the torrents in another folder since I cannot move the parent folder. The data files is no problem - that is easy to tell uTorrent where they are. I did read the FAQ, Ultima and you did an awesome job but I did not see this answer. Isn't there a way to install of a thumb or small ram drive?

If you want to change where uT stores torrents FROM NOW ON you change the preferences (Ctrl-P -> Other). If you want to change LOADED torrents' location, you either edit the resume.dat with a capable editor like http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306 OR you remove and re-add it with changed preferences.

I don't recall HOW MUCH local-pathing is included in 1.7, but implementation for 1.8 is greatly improved... i.e. using non-absolute paths for these directories allow things to be kept sub-root, where uTorrent.exe is stored.

• 2 years later...

I have a question about this. With regard to the appdata torrents. OK, so let's say you manually move all of your downloads to drive D:. Now in order for utorrent to find the files, you must also move the appdata torrent files. Where do you want to put this? Would anywhere on the D: work? Or do you want it in the same directory as where you placed your finished downloads?

• 2 years later...

Archived