Odd clash with Vista RC1 Indexing

ric9887

Hi guys,

The symptoms Im seeing both with uTorrent 1.6 and 1.61 is that after a small amount of time, uTorrent stops writing to disk and reports that the disks are busy. It ramps down the downloads to almost 0 and then starts ramping slowly up again. All quite normal I would imagine, except I couldnt imagine why the disks would be busy.

When it stops writing to disk, the amount of memory uTorrent consumes starts going up to over 200MB. This happens regardless of having write cacheing enabled or not.

While troubleshooting this, I also saw that Explorer was running at >70CPU. Having read others reporting problems with Vista Indexing, I found somewhere you can exclude directories from Vista Indexing somewhere in the Performace menus. I have excluded the location where my torrents are placed and I do not now see the problem.

I thought I would share this with you and wanted to see if anyone else had seen similar problems.

Regards

Rich

I use uTorrent with Vista RC1 with no problems at all (apart from the incoming connection problem which I fixed by adding the port in windows firewall for UDP and TCP and disabling the SSDP Discovery & uPnP Host services)

But other than that its working fine? im running the latest version...

I have Vista Indexing (along with other unessacary services) disabled, but it worked before that aswell

Im wondering if you were saving to a directory where indexing was actually turned on. I save my torrents to a directory under users which is one of the few places, if I remember correctly, where indexing is actually used. There was another excluded directory, but cant remember which one it was.

All I know is it really fixed the problem. I didnt disable indexing, just added my torrents directory to the exclude list. I havent had to disable any services or manually change any firewall settings, it detected utorrent and added that stuff its self to the firewall config.

I really only saw the symtoms when the download was getting >900KB/s, anything lower and it it would get the disk writes out eventually.

The machine was a fresh build on a newly formatted disk with just uTorrent. I now have the 5728 build so will try it again at the weekend.

Your comments are interesting though.

Rich

I know the firewall adds the uTorrent exe. to the exceptions but try adding the Ports aswell (one for TCP and one for UDP)

This sped up my connections...this is with RC1 not any other Build though

its worth a bash... It could have been a conflict due to incoming connections not being made that was making uTorrent (on a BETA OS) misfire...?!?!

Archived